Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 PM

Default huge pot what to do?

live 5-10 game extremly loose extremly passive

Hero is BB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls UTG+1 calls UTG+2 calls MP1 calls MP2 calls MP3 calls Co calls Button(villian)raises SB calls hero calls whole table calls (20 sb)

flop:A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks Hero checks UTG checks UTG+1 checks UTG+2 checks MP1 checks MP2 checks MP3 checks CO checks Button (villan) bets SB calls Hero raises (?) UTG folds UTG+1 folds UTG+2 calls MP1 calls MP2 calls MP3 calls CO calls Button reraises (at this point im sure he has trip aces) SB calls hero calls all callers call (41 sb)

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks hero checks everyone checks to Button, Button bets SB folds hero calls UTG+2 calls MP1 calls MP2 folds MP3 calls CO calls(25bb)

river Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero checks UTG+2 checks MP1 checks MP3 checks Button checks

showdown hero has flush. Button exposes Pocket AA hero wins pot 25 BB

did i play this hand correctly. obviously i should have bet the river but i was wondering if i had acted like one of the many fish that i constantly play against? Because i knew the button had trip aces i knew the only thing that could win this pot for me was two running clubs that didnt pair the board should i have gotten out at that point? should i have not been involved in the first place?

thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: huge pot what to do?

The worst thing in this hand was not betting the river.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:51 PM

Id fold preflop...yes yes, even getting that much odds to call.

Fold the flop, no way is your ten good. You dont have a hand worthy of protecting and all your draws are runner runner.

Turn is standard.

For the love of god, bet that river...nobody is folding in this huge pot.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:56 PM

i like the fact that you tried to protect you hand with a check raise to eliminate players. and the fact that the pot got so big made you r call on the turn an obvious one and a right one. and the river [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , well you should of made a value bet there because you know that the game was passive and that they will call your bet with weaker hands and that the button may not bet again but he will call your bet and give you an extra Big bet unless you were hoping for some overcalls from the other players to you left. buy i like the way that you played the hand except for the river check.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like the fact that you tried to protect you hand with a check raise to eliminate players.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesnt have a hand to protect tho!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 AM

i checked raises the flop for 3 reasons
1. i wanted to knock out draws
2. i wanted to rpresent a strong hand for a possible free river
3. i wanted to find out where i stand the raiser could of had jj-AA in the pocket or AK his rerais made me ceertain i was looking at pocket A's
Old 11-03-2004, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because i knew the button had trip aces i knew the only thing that could win this pot for me was two running clubs that didnt pair the board

[/ QUOTE ]

So you either have a running flush with no pair or running quads. This equals (9/47)*(8/46) + (2/47)*(1/46) or roughly 29:1.

By raising, you put yourself at risk for a 3-bet (which happened). So now you only had about 14:1. You were far from having these implied odds. Also, were they really going to fold for 1 BB with 11 in there if they hit any part of the flop?

By calling the flop, you get your odds to draw. Maybe I'm alone on just calling the flop?

p.s. BET THE RIVER!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i checked raises the flop for 3 reasons
1. i wanted to knock out draws

[/ QUOTE ]

What draws are going to fold here? They are getting 23-to-2 (or 11.5-to-1) on the call. That makes it correct for gutshot draws to call here. You aren't getting much to fold at all, and whoever does fold are hands you would actually want to continue (since they are close to drawing dead).

On top of that, there's no way you're ahead here. Yet you opened yourself up to a 3-bet.

Haupt_234
Old 11-03-2004, 01:24 AM

Yeah, everyone already said bet the river, and they're right. Trip aces will get scared with that third club and sometimes check it through. Besides, even if he does bet, and you raise (that's what you were planning, I suspect?), then you face the rest of the table with calling 2 cold, forcing out many hands you beat.

I like the call pre-flop. You almost have odds to play any two cards, let alone any two-suited.

I call the flop. You are behind, but you have a reasonable draw considering the size of the pot.

Nice win!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:38 AM

I'm usually thinking one thing when I'm in a 20 SB pot before the flop...

"See you at the river"

Not wild about the flop C/R because you aren't likely going to drop anyone that has a better hand then you...and any outs you'd be "buying" weren't going to help you against AA unless they were runner runner.

And...oh yea: Bet the River [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

King