Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Bad runs, will they eventually come to all?(not a bad beat post)

I can to some extent deal with bad beats, I tell my self after looking trough the hand wether or not I made a good decision, and then I am ok with it or slapp myself over the head.
Lately I have experienced a long sequence of bad beats accumulating into a massiv bad run. I am not talking about making a poor read or bumping into the hand one feared the most when putting an opponent on a range. But real seriously against the odds sequal events. This is NOT a bad beat post, but I will give an example: Chip leader with 100 to go, out in 3 hands, respectively QQ, KK, AA all delt in two orbits. Now once is a freak accident and ok, but 4 tourneys within 3 days near identical scenarios and I know I played close to my A game. It has wrecked my confidence and is messing with my head. Can someone advice on means of dealing with bad runs? Caused the worst tilt I ever had yesterday
Best regards Stokken
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Bad runs, will they eventually come to all?(not a bad beat post)

Some other guy posted the same exact thing.

These are swingy. It happens.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 AM

the best thing for me when i am on a long run of bad beats is puttinga bad beat on someone else.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:01 AM

Take a break, go for a walk, drink some coffee, go get drunk. Whatever you do, don't change your playing style. Don't get mad at the guy who outdrew you playing trash and then go play like him. Stick to your normal playing style and things will swing back.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 AM

I usually tilt off what ever I have left in the game I'm playing (cash or tourney) and then shut my computer down, get up...realize I want to keep playing, sit down, turn my computer back on and get back to work.

Luck doesn't travel in cycles, it just appears to when you focus on bad results from good plays. What you're forgetting about is all the good results from good plays and all the lucky results when you make a good play that happens to put you behind only to suck out yourself. How did you get that big stack you lost in three hands? Get it all in with AQ against AK only to spike a Q on the turn?

STOP BEING RESULTS ORIENTED or else, at the very least, come here and complain when you're on such a hot streak that after taking down three big pots in a row when you got AA AJs and TT for a flopped set, you played 73o and flopped a straight for another big pot.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Its been my experience that these supposed 'bad runs' are not any such thing. They are normal runs.

Problem is this: we run well for a while and in our minds (and egos) we transform this into 'normal'. then when we start running more normal, it seems bad by comparison and we call it a bad run.

In tourney play, lots of bad beats happen. QQ runs into AA, then your AA gets smashed by 77. that is not unlucky.

If you actually tilt when things go wrong, you have a long, long way to go to being a solid player.

And I know this isn't what your ego wanted to hear. Of course you're really a great player and you need an external excuse as to why you're not winning, right? Too bad.

Get over it, accept the reality of tournament poker. Deal with your tilt.

-Scott
Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 AM

I am the one that made the other post about this topic. I can give you a couple of points of advice. First, bad runs happen to good players. I am STILL in the midst of running at least fairly bad, so I pulled most of my roll off (also on account of impending child on the way), and went back to playing the bottom rung of buyins/limits. You don't win much, but you don't lose much either. If you want to do something that will help you with coping with ridiculously bad beats, go play some play money tourneys. Seriously. You can't win anything, but people can and will beat you in the most obscene ways, and it will help you cope with the bad beat train. I can't help you more than that for now, as I have still not completely figured out how to deal with my cold streak. Once I do, I will keep you posted and let you know what else I did.

[ QUOTE ]
I can to some extent deal with bad beats, I tell my self after looking trough the hand wether or not I made a good decision, and then I am ok with it or slapp myself over the head.
Lately I have experienced a long sequence of bad beats accumulating into a massiv bad run. I am not talking about making a poor read or bumping into the hand one feared the most when putting an opponent on a range. But real seriously against the odds sequal events. This is NOT a bad beat post, but I will give an example: Chip leader with 100 to go, out in 3 hands, respectively QQ, KK, AA all delt in two orbits. Now once is a freak accident and ok, but 4 tourneys within 3 days near identical scenarios and I know I played close to my A game. It has wrecked my confidence and is messing with my head. Can someone advice on means of dealing with bad runs? Caused the worst tilt I ever had yesterday
Best regards Stokken

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 AM

I had a run like that, where I lost like 15 sng's in a row getting my chips into it with the best hand, sometimes a 60/40 best, sometimes a 70/30, and sometimes an 80/20. Made me question myself, if I was making some sort of mistake, and caused me to play too causiously for a little while. Wasn't good, but I eventually came out of it, and had a run where I won 5/8 sngs and placed in one of the others.

Just remember, for every bad run, theres a good one right around the corner, just don't let your mind trick you into thinking you should play differently.