Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: YES! I ran the [censored] out of a red light and got busted cold

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt there are lots of kids running around on roads that have traffic lights. Doesn't really matter of course, I just hate that line of reasoning that most people have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hate the line of reasoning that says you shouldn't drive unusually fast because you might kill someone? It doesn't have to be a kid you're worried about; children are just the clearest example of why you should drive carefully.

Incidentally, there are many, many neighborhoods with narrow streets, traffic lights, and families/children recreating outside.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I hate pretty much any line of reasoning that is ridiculous. I'm not saying driving excessively fast is a good idea, but it's got nothing to do with children getting knocked around like bowling pins.

How many children have you seen hit by cars? How many have your friends seen? Your friends friends? Now divde that 0 by the number of people you've seen driving too fast.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Numerous studies have shown that I shouldn't have unprotected sex with strangers, too.

But HA!

Yo sista tossed my salad.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many children have you seen hit by cars?

[/ QUOTE ]
One, actually. I can't speak for my friends and their friends, but it's irrelevant. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Data: About 5,000 pedestrians are killed in car accidents each year in the U.S., and roughly 25 times that number are injured. Cite. Cite.

These figures are very small compared to the total number of pedestrians and motorists, but they are undoubtedly made larger by reckless driving, and the consequences are serious enough that every reasonable precaution should be taken to prevent even so unlikely an event.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying driving excessively fast is a good idea, but it's got nothing to do with children getting knocked around like bowling pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly. It's got to do with damaging your car, damaging other cars, injuring yourself, injuring other drivers, and, yes, knocking around children like bowling pins.

You should not merely take the statement at face value. "You might kill a kid" is pretty good shorthand for "this is reckless behavior."