Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Need advice on giving some advice to 1st timer

Scenario:

Taking the wife to play at the B&M for her first time. I am almost strictly an NL player, but for her first foray, we will be sitting at the 2/4 LHE table.

I am not a good teacher. I have absolutely no patience.

She plays online, mostly freeroll stuff and microlimit tourneys. She has a decent grasp of NL in those regards. She is not a consistently winning player. She loves to play as entertainment, and I would class her as an action player. She has not played limit before.

If I could give her just a handful 'rules' to follow, what would they be? The interest is not necessarily to make her a winning B&M 2/4 player, but to help ensure she doesn't donk off her entire stake in 15 seconds, and that she has a chance to take down a decent pot here and there.

I welcome your collective suggestions, oh mighty 2+2 SSLHE mavens.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Need advice on giving some advice to 1st timer

[ QUOTE ]
Scenario:

Taking the wife to play at the B&M for her first time. I am almost strictly an NL player, but for her first foray, we will be sitting at the 2/4 LHE table.

I am not a good teacher. I have absolutely no patience.

She plays online, mostly freeroll stuff and microlimit tourneys. She has a decent grasp of NL in those regards. She is not a consistently winning player. She loves to play as entertainment, and I would class her as an action player. She has not played limit before.

If I could give her just a handful 'rules' to follow, what would they be? The interest is not necessarily to make her a winning B&M 2/4 player, but to help ensure she doesn't donk off her entire stake in 15 seconds, and that she has a chance to take down a decent pot here and there.

I welcome your collective suggestions, oh mighty 2+2 SSLHE mavens.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 Live is going to play similar to like .5/1 or .25/.50 online. I would buy Small Stake Hold'em by Miller et al., and have her follow the starting hands requirements for loose games. As long as she does that, she will be playing better starting hands than most everyone else, and she should do OK.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Need advice on giving some advice to 1st timer

Actually, I'd go with Hilger's book for a pure beginner ("Internet Texas Hold'Em")--it teaches a good, simple ABC approach that's perfect for the microlimit online games (or small stakes B&M games). It also contains fewer relatively advanced concepts than SSH...and we all know that SSH, while undoubtedly the best book ever written on the subject of SS LHE, can be very confusing on your first read. Especially if you don't have much (any) LHE experience.

If you're looking for a 3-simple rules type of thing that you can give her during the drive there:

-Don't call raises preflop with anything except pocket pairs or AQ or better.
-Fold anything less than top pair, a 4-flush, or an OESD on the flop.
-Do not try to bluff anyone.

Obviously not ideal in an EV sense, but it should prevent her from losing too quickly, and assuming a relatively neutral run of cards vs. the donks you typically see at a 2/4 B&M game, she can probably leave the game ahead by playing like this.