Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Tips for a \"rookie\" hand poster, please. Thanks.

Okay, guys and gals, I need a little help on something. As some of you may or may not have noticed, I post a fair amount around here, but it is almost always responses to other people's hands, and not my own hands. This is not because I don't play any interesting hands. On the contrary, I think there are often hands that I at least think warrant a second look from myself, if not from the collective community here. My problem is that I am not good at keeping track of which hands I want to post. Can you guys tell me how you keep track of your hands and any other tips you have for effective and reader-friendly posts?

Do you just busy-out from the game for a bit while you post the hand? Do you write down the hand number and review it later? How do you keep track of your reads on players so you can provide them later? All of these questions and anything else you can provide would be great. I want to start posting more hands, but I get lost trying to keep track of the info while multi-tabling.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

-Trail
Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Tips for a \"rookie\" hand poster, please. Thanks.

ToT,

If a hand REALLY bothers me, I'll post it immediately, either while continuing to play or while taking a break (which I'll often doing after losing a big one or laying one down in a big pot). Otherwise, I see interesting hands when I go through PT after my session. As far as reads go, if a hand stuck in my head enought to make it worth posting, I usually remember everything about it - usually every waking moment for days, in fact, if I know I screwed it up big-time.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:05 PM

I do one of two things. One is just to post it while I'm playing, but this gets tough when 4 tabling and so it usually ends up rushed and I can't comment on it until later.

The other is I go look through pokertracker. I search by starting hand, which seems easiest (you don't get too many of the same hand per session, plus PT tells you how much you won/lost next to the starting hand so you can figure it out from there). Then you can just dig up the hand history.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:10 PM

I use poker tracker also, after I'm done playing. I'll write down enough after the hand to find it later. You can filter it by date and then find the starting hand and the flop from the hand you wanted to post.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM

If playing on party immediately after playing an interesting hand and/or a hand that I would like input on I pull up the HH window and send it to my email. Then later I go through my email and look at the hands a second time and see whether is still worthy of posting for help. Having Poker Tracker to go through previous action to re-familiarze myself with the table so I can try and remember what was going on is a good help. If I have some really strong reads or info I want to make sure I remember I try and post it soon or I pull up the email with the HH and then re-send it to myself with some added notes.

Sometimes I just go through Poker Tracker and review sessions and find stuff as well.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 PM

I usually post it within the minute.

However rarely do I find a situation where I am so torn between making what I feel is the right decision.

Obviously, I am not incredible and a ton of my decisions are sub-optimal, but hopefully you get what I mean.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 PM

sticky notes:

hand and hand number (i.e. AK #xxxxxxxxxxx). Easier to find it in PT.

--Dave.

Edit: When posting, say you're asking about whether or not to raise the turn. Put in your raise or call or whatever in the history, but DON'T put any more of the hand in after that. Sometimes action is just as good as results at skewwing advice.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM

I used to just copy the hand history number right after the hand and save them in notepad .txt files. Then after each session I'd manually request them and go over which ones I wanted to dicuss. Now that Stars has that awesome-as-hell hand history log window, I just copy and paste the hand history into a notepad file and go over them when the session is over.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I will try out some of your suggestions, and hopefully I can contribute a hand or two now instead of just rambling responses.

-Trail