Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Set on flop with 3 diamonds... now what???

<font color="red"> I'm wondering about alternative ways of playing this. Would you have done anything different? </font>

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($17)
Hero ($23.15)
SB ($30.70)
BB ($94.25)
UTG ($49.75)
UTG+1 ($21)
MP1 ($157.10)
MP2 ($18.40)
MP3 ($18)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises to $1, SB folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>

<font color="red"> Ok, the obvious question is... does one of them have the flush? I'm thinking unluckly, but possible. </font>

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $3.25, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $3.25.

Turn: ($9.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>

<font color="red"> Ok, he called... but with what? I'm thinking AQ, AK, KQ, or flush draw (J or 10). </font>

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $9.75, UTG+1 calls $9.75.

River: ($29.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>

<font color="red"> BAM... I hit the full house... </font>

UTG+1 bets $7 (All-In), Hero calls $7.

<font color="red"> What is he betting for? Does he have a higher full house? A flush? Oh well, already comitted, can't fold now. </font>

Final Pot: $43.25
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $43.25, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 ($43.25).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows (full house, queens full of kings).
UTG+1 shows Td Jd (straight flush, ace high).
Hero shows Qc Qs (full house, queens full of kings).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $43.25. </font>
Old 05-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Set on flop with 3 diamonds... now what???

Considering he kinda had a royal flush, there's not a lot you can do here. Considering the fact that he just called your bet on the flop, I put him on a two pair hand as well. One idea might be betting a little bit more, like 5 bucks, to show you are really interested, and then if he comes over the top of you, you know you're beat. However, if you put the guy on a two pair like Aces and Kings or Kings and Queens, that King obviously should have made you leery. I might have check called or just bet a small amount. That is really an almost impossible situation though. Sorry man.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $1

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does this forum advocate min-raising big pairs (or, for that matter, min raising at all)? If you make a real raise preflop (to 6x the BB) there's some chance he'll lay down a marginal hand like Td Jd.

Other than that you're drawing dead on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

The Doc
Old 05-02-2004, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $1

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does this forum advocate min-raising big pairs (or, for that matter, min raising at all)? If you make a real raise preflop (to 6x the BB) there's some chance he'll lay down a marginal hand like Td Jd.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise to 6x the BB, then everybody folds and I pick up the blinds. I would like to make some money, and thus bet the pot (which in this case happened to be $1). I probably should have bet more than the $1 though for sure. What do you suggest is a good amount? I personally think 6x BB is a bit high with such a small pot.

On the other hand... QQ is one of my biggest losers when I look at PokerTracker. So maybe you are correct. Any other thoughts?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 PM

4 BB would be a good lower limit on your raises.

If they're folding everything to a 4 BB raise, raise more.

.b