Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Standard laydown or outplayed?

Party 30/60

Villain is your average 2+2 multitabling TAG. 15.4/11/2.94 after about 6K hands.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on bb.
villain in CO raises, sb calls raise, I 3 bet.
villain calls sb calls

flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checks, I bet, CO calls sb folds

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, CO thinks about it and calls

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet (?), CO thinks and raise
I fold

I'm thinking this over of how badly I played this hand. Is check/call the river the best play in a situation like this or value bet the river?

Probably my biggest leak is not being able to lay down a hand on the river. I'm thinking back of all the times that I find myself in this position and almost always lose in a situation like this. Would a very tight but aggressive player in CO be willing to make a play at me on the river knowing that I 3 raise the flop and bet all the way? Nice size pot.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Standard laydown or outplayed?

Check the river. He'll valuebet two pair and you save being raised by a king. Think about it...if he has something like A10 or JJ or QQ, etc, a bet will go in if you check and he's a good player. So why not just check and avoid being raised...the hands that would have called will likely bet.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 PM

you played it fine, but i'd check call the river here.

you're going to win a surprising amount of the time IMO, and you wont put in a double bet that pisses you off royally when he shows you KJ off.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:51 PM

I had considered check/calling the river but his stats gave me an impression that he would most likely just check the river unless he has a K or better after I showed strength on flop and turn. Yet I think he would call a bet with hands like QQ, A10 etc. His raise is bad news.

What about the fold? would an ultra tight player be willing to make a play here on this situation?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 PM

you played it fine, i woulda bet the river and prolly folded as well when he raised.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:01 PM

That 2.94 is a pretty aggressive post-flop stat. Don't you think there's a small chance he has QQ and thinks it now less likely that you have a K and made a thin value raise, expecting to fold if reraised? That hesitation on the end could represent KQ or KJ and afraid of a possible AK, or it could be QQ, thinking it's very likely you could have JJ or such.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:02 PM

mmm..

a player with 2.94 aggression waiting until the river to raise a KJ or KQ doesn't click for me.

bet/call on river is fine, maybe I'm stubborn but no way I lay this down given size of pot on the river.

also a hand like AT would not value bet the river here IMO but thats assuming his read on you is a multitabling tag as well.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That 2.94 is a pretty aggressive post-flop stat. Don't you think there's a small chance he has QQ and thinks it now less likely that you have a K and made a thin value raise, expecting to fold if reraised? That hesitation on the end could represent KQ or KJ and afraid of a possible AK, or it could be QQ, thinking it's very likely you could have JJ or such.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2.94 bugged me quite a bit. Hence why I posted this seeking advice. There were a million scenarios going through my head during this river but ended up folding. I figured the only logical hands that I could beat would be QQ, JJ, or possibly JQ trying to blind steal and missed his draw. There were a lot more hands that he would've beat me though in this situation.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mmm..

a player with 2.94 aggression waiting until the river to raise a KJ or KQ doesn't click for me.

also a hand like AT would not value bet the river here IMO but thats assuming his read on you is a multitabling tag as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, I was thinking there's no way he would bet a hand like A10 or QQ on the river if I checked given the way the hand was played. When I bet and he raised I wanted to fold but that 2.94 number is just begging for attention.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 PM

This is a reasonably easy call. By the way, he bets AT here when you check the river almost all the time.