Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Default $1/$2 NLH Cash B&M

Hello, newb here at 2+2, primarily a video poker player for profit, playing $3/$6 and $4/$8 LHE in Tunica & LV for fun for about 4 years now, to kill time after VP sessions, and short term profit, do OK thanks to reading SSH, but have become pretty bored with it.

Want to make a switch to the small NL B&M games with the same goals, 1 to make short term profit, 2 to kill about 3 or 4 hours a day on these trips, and 3 of course to have fun. I'm looking strictly at the $1/$2 NL games here with no intention of ever moving up since this as I said is a side thing for me.

Can anyone recommend the best book to help me make the switch?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 NLH Cash B&M

Getting Started in Hold 'em

The Short Stack system that Ed outlines might just be up your alley.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:38 AM

Cool, will check it out. Anyone else?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 AM

I will second GSIH and Ed's short stack strategy. I am a limit player that has been dabbling in NL lately using this strat and it works quite well. I also play it at the lowest limits with no intention of moving up, and that is where I think it has it's biggest advantage. It is is simple yet flexible enough to be used to make good money without superior NL hand-reading skills and post-flop play.

Here is a link to a good thread on the strategy. Even though the OP didn't like the strategy, there are several notables that chimed in (to include Ed Miller) to show it's merits.

Experience w/ Ed Miller’s small stack NLHE strategy

There is also discussion out there of what Dan Harrington thought about this stratgey. Supposedly he said that this is the strategy he used when he started.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Awesome thread, thanks. I think i'm halfway there, as I said i've been playing live limit for about 4 years now, i'm comfortable post-flop, hand reading(educated guessing), use position well, pot odds, all that stuff.

I sat in a couple NLH 1/2 games in Vegas last time out with simple goals: be TAG, don't get trapped, try running a couple bluffs, don't play trash, play position. I did ok and felt mostly comfortable. Only goal I don't feel I acheived was being agressive enough. There were some maniacs and I felt like I was flying blind a few times. I know how to handle them in limit, but not here. Still I came out +$50 and +$80 for the sessions without hitting much on the flops.

I'm just looking for a baseline to find my NL game I guess. This may be it.