Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Borg 10/25 - If you are a LAG

I play a fairly LAG style, and this weekend showed a couple of big laydowns...in general do people think it helps or hurts?...i'll give an example of the laydown, and then how i think it helped

I have about 5k, villian has me covered...2 limpers to villian on button (very ABC nothing really out of line in 2-3 hours of play) who raises to 150...i call with A6s (loose i know, thought i might get the limpers to come along..both limpers folded)...flop comes AA10...i check, button bets 250, and i call...the turn is a K...i check and the buttons think for a while and bets 600...i get a queasy feeling about where the hand is headed, show him the A, and fold...curious what people think of the hand, and the fact that i showed.

About 45 mins later, my stack is about 7k and a NEW villian (he definitely saw the last hand and took note)has me covered...this villian has played back at me a couple of times and i have folded after putting in big bets...anyway, couple of limpers to me on button with Q8h...i raise to 150, villian calls in BB, everyone else folds...flop comes K 7 9 rainbow...BB checks, i bet 200, and he thinks and calls...turn is K (suit not important)...villain leads out for 300...my read was that he was trying to make a move, so i minraised to 600...villian thinks and calls...river is a J...villian leads out for 500...i think for about a minute and raise it to 2500...villian thinks ad thinks and folds...comments?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Borg 10/25 - If you are a LAG

respectfully, what do i need to change about initial post to get responses?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:39 PM

First hand is an easy laydown, but I wouldn't show it. Just advertising that you like laying down and inviting people to play at you.
Second hand seems like a fine river raise, but the turn min-raise is atrocious. If you think he's making a move, put in a bet big enough to get him to quit. 300 more he'd call with any part of the board, and now you're going to have to put in another $2500 to bluff instead of taking it down there for $1200 or so.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:42 PM

mostly the style of the post. Long paragraphs where the flop is intertwined with the rest of the sentences is not going to elicit many responses. Making it easier on the eyes would go a long way.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:20 AM

well, it really depends on who youre playing against...
against decnt players showing huge, but good laydowns can be good as it might tilt them to not get paid paid off... but against weaker players i hate it, especially when you are deep.
you want these guys to think you are reckless and nuts. this way you can manipulate them to play a huge pot w/ u when u make the nuts... showing them big laydfowns just displays to every1 how hard u are trying to play well and thinking about the game... no1 gonna play a 10K pot w/ top pair against some guy they think is playing carefully and laying down trip aces in a HU pot.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM

I witnessed this hand. What makes you think he was making a move on the turn? If so, why not raise it more... and take the hand from him. Was the raise on the turn to set up the bluff on the river? After his river bet, I would think he has a made hand, what made you decide to bluff.
It's a big bluff in a pot that's about the same size. Anyway good bluff on the river, I think everyone at the table was surprised with the move.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway good bluff on the river, I think everyone at the table was surprised with the move.

[/ QUOTE ]
So he showed the Q-8 bluff?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM

i htought his lead bet on turn was out of character given how he had played previous strong hands...

and yes, the turn minraise was just setting up a big bet on the river...not sure why it didnt dawn on me to just raise the turn big...i was thinking at the time that the minraise would look odd and scary...i won the hand, but i think i agree i should have just raised turn bigger...

what seat were you in?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM

i did, and the villian donked off about 700 to the old lady in the 10 seat about 3 minutes later...at least someone benifited...
Old 12-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Hey rock1,

[ QUOTE ]
i did, and the villian donked off about 700 to the old lady in the 10 seat about 3 minutes later

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal. I was liking your play up to this point. I generally like showing bluffs, and show a lot of them. But here, you had a beautiful situation: you've established yourself as weak-tight with the earlier laydown, and now you've moved this guy off a real hand of some sort. Nobody doubts you had a boat there; for God's sake, don't show it.