Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM

Default 1/2 live OMGWTFLOL

Yesterday I played (read: treaded water, trying not to drown) in the 1/2 game I talked about earlier. For those not familiar with that post, the game is a bunch of older golfer/gambler type guys and a few of them play a strong game.

Hand 1

I'm MP with KK

UTG limps, fold, fold, I raise, button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop

J J 4

check, check,UTG bets I raise, folds around to UTG who calls.

Turn 5

check, I bet, he calls

River A

he checks, I ponder my best move, and figure maybe his most likely holding is a PP, so I bet, he check raises me, I insta-call...

thoughts on that hand greatly appreciated

Hand 2

Family pot less one sane player.

I have AJo in the SB, and i just complete, as it is not uncommon for someone to limp AK or 10-10 thrugh QQ in this game. So there's nine to the flop.....No one raises here, right?

Flop

Kc Qc 3x

I check, bb checks, checks around to MP who bets, everyone inbetween him and me calls, I call, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds

5 players to the turn

Turn

10c

I bet, and MP gives a little speech then says "I raise"

folds back to me, and at this point I looked back at my hand and realize I did have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I three-bet him, and he's not a passive player, fairly agg for this group.
He calls quick.

River was a 3 or 4 non club.

I bet......???? thoughts???

You'll love these results, and you'll understand the title when I post them....

Tex
Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: 1/2 live OMGWTFLOL

both played well...nh
Old 11-28-2005, 02:32 PM

both hands well played.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 PM

jinx.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 PM

I dont love the flop raise in hand 1.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM

i was gonna mention that id rather call there, but it doesnt really seem like too big a deal either way.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 PM

you might be able to c/r the river in hand 2.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:38 PM

On hand one, I would check the turn. He may have bet the flop with a jack to disguise his hand since he figures you wouldn't put him on that if he bet right out. Or he may have bet some kind of weaker pocket pair or possibly a 4 or total bluff. By checking the turn, you may induce him to bluff a hand on the river he would have folded to a turn bet and you avoid getting checkraised by a jack. As played, I think I check behind on the river - if he didn't have you beat already, there is a good chance he does now. And if he has less than aces up, I don't know that he calls the river unless he is quite awful considering just about any hand you could have would now beat jacks up.

On hand two, it depends on the guy. Will he valuebet any two pair here? What about something like KJ with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? Or would he be more prone to check anything you are beating behind? Against a player who doesn't like to miss bets, I may check-call b/c I know a bet will most likely go in whether I'm ahead or behind. Against an opponent who would not bet unless he had a set (which I beat), straight or better, I would bet and hope to get calls from hands that wouldn't check if I bet.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 PM

Please explain (I'm pretty new). This was a good sized pot, and it seems to me you would want to protect your hand. If the A had come on the turn instead of the river, I would have been glad I raised. Are you worried about trip jacks?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM

If an A comes on the turn of course you are glad you raised the flop. Same thing if a K comes. wait, actually you would have liked a call better if the turn was a K, but i digress. What about the the rest of the deck?

Raising is not terrible, especially if anyone in the game will call 2 bets with an A or worse, or if pairs QQ and below are out. But I like calling better. You put in less when there is a jack out there, and you encourage unpaired hands to "draw". It's a big win if anyone without an Ace stays in the hand. It's actually even a win if Ace high hands draw on you as they are not getting correct odds.