Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-26-2005, 03:26 PM

Default JJ with flop K-K-3 with 2 diamonds.

Very early in single table sit-n-go. Everyone has roughly the same chip count which is around 2000. Blinds 15/30

PF: UTG + 1: raises to 100
Hero raises to 300 from MP with J-J
Button calls 300
UTG + 1: calls 300.

Flop: Kd-Kc-3d
UTG goes all in (he barely covers both of us)

I have no information on the level of aggression of this player yet, nor the one behind me. I'm caught in the sandwich and eventually lay it down. Perhaps this is an easy laydown (especially with someone to act after me), but if villain had a king, does he really go all-in (not too uncommon to overbet a big hand)? if he smooth called preflop with QQ or AA, is he really comfortable blindly going all in in first position with 2 kings out there? This seems more like an A-Q of diamonds or pp anywhere from 8's to 10's, no?

Regardless i'm interested in comments to the above situation and I ask if your advice would have changed significantly had the button not been involved behind me. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: JJ with flop K-K-3 with 2 diamonds.

[ QUOTE ]
if he smooth called preflop with QQ or AA, is he really comfortable blindly going all in in first position with 2 kings out there? This seems more like an A-Q of diamonds or pp anywhere from 8's to 10's, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's hard to put him on a king unless he's a savvy player and knows that you're a thinking player as well. It's actually a great overbet with AK since it puts pairs to the test and gets an autocall from AA 99% of the time.

Nonetheless, look at the structure of this tourney. T2000 stacks with 15/30 blinds - you have to think long and hard about stacking off with JJ versus an UTG raiser this early and button still to act. I will make this call in Party donkfests, but you're talking about a completely different structure; here I fold.

Is this some live tourney by the way?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:53 PM

not live, online at pokerroom. I raised to 300 pf to see if i was up against a higher pair so that i wouldn't go broke with a rags flop. Anyway, came to the same conclusion about how early it was and waited for a better spot. Cheers.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Never go broke with a deep stack unless you're an 80% favorite to win.