Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: LC: One year ago (Stolen from STT Forum)

One year ago

Found online poker at a onlinebookie I used, It was their new feature.

Thought I knew a thing or two about poker, playing 5 draw with friends and winning a tournament with about 90 entrants when 17, finishing second in another one.
Newer seen Tx hold em before, learned the rules and entered a no lim table at way to high a limit, ran my bankroll up to 5K lost it all in one pot( entered the table with full BR)

Got some books 2+2, found forum.Realized I knew nothing, still dont. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Started out again at 0,5/1 fix. lim. 6 months later or so played 3/6 4 tabling with appr.4,5 bb/100 over a modest sample. Won a promo that covered tripp/accomodation/buy in (220)to AMCOP.
Started playing MTTS on stars for practise. 4 ft since august about 15K cashed.Made entries to 3 events at WCOOP-played horrible-was horrible.Have a decent amount of W$ trying to win an entry to a major event, but just not my side of the flipps and flopps yet. Made alot of stupid posts here( I hope they have improved).Feel I have made some new friend I hope to meet in person. Busted from the AMCOP as 3 chipleader with 30 to go on me:BB with KK vs SB with 99. Me BB with QQ vs mp with JT. Havent played a single fix.lim hand since-need to work on that. Loved live play( played a small one too with 250 buy in and came third).

Working on my game and hope to improve.Offcourse it is only bad beats that keep me from winning more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 PM

One year ago

- I thought playing online at home with my "PokerStars" hat on was +EV
- Would make thoughtful and useful notes on other players
- Considered "donk" a reductionistic and demeaning word, that I would never dream of using
- Thought of myself as a mediocre player with a chance of improving to a decent tournement-hobbyist.

Since

- Hey, it's really nobody's business what I wear when I play, is it? And who knows ... that stupid hat might work after all!
- Mainly makes notes on other players with contents like "Clown", "Moron" and "Fool"
- OK, I know I'm the donk
- Dreaming of graduating to the coveted "mediocre" level.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 PM

One year ago

Had won about two grand playing B&M 3/6 and 6/12. Started playing June '04, dropping a few hundred at first, then slowly getting better and running hot.

Had lost about a grand playing online 3/6.

Thought a grand was a ton of money to win or lose.

Had never played NL cash.

Had played a handful of $5 SNG's, barely any multis.

Had read a bunch of good poker books (all the standard 2+2 books), but at best I played formulaically, except I couldn't always remember the formula. I remember spending several hours trying to memorize which group hands were in and what positions I was supposed to play which groups in. I hope my game is more dynamic now.

Since

In January I resolved to keep better records, play according to a plan, with a real bankroll. I did, won a couple grand in January, lost it back and a little more in several overconfident/too aggressive/tilty B&M limit sessions, including a $750 6-12 loss that nearly made me quit. Lost some online too.

Started playing NL; live 1/2 against horrible players. Thought I was the [censored]. Started playing online NL over my bankroll. Won some, lost some. Started playing multis and bigger SNG's. Won a $50 MTT on pokerroom for 2K, had a few other mildly big cashes.

After a winning March and April, had a weekend in early May where I tilted a over a grand of profits in $50 SNG's and NL cash, playing all night Saturday. All that I had in the account. Said eff-it, deposited $108 dollars to play the Pokerroom Grand Prix Sunday evening, said I'll play my best, no tilt, and see what happens. Early in tournament won twice allin and dominated, built a stack, played the best middle and endgame I'd played up to that point. Went on to finish second for $5500.

I've since finished 2nd again in the GP, won the pokerroom 20K, won a couple 30+3's and 2 or 3 50+4's and a few smaller buyins. Made a bunch of final tables. Started playing PLO and PL08 and done ok, especially in tourneys. Play live NL cash and 10/20 limit when I get the chance. Find online ring games of all forms to be my Achilles Heel overall, but it's getting better. I've experimented with different styles and ways of playing hands and situations and I think I have learned something from it all, but too often zig when I should zag. Started reading andposting on 2+2 a few months ago and have enjoyed it a lot. Have learned alot and hope I have contributed something.

I could have a solid five-figure bankroll but I've invested basically all of my winnings, starting from scratch a few times, mostly because I don't think I'm good enough yet.

I've recently had a frustrating break even spell (and only break even because of a couple cash game wins) since winning one of the Pokerroom Dailies a few weeks ago and find myself tilting too often and playing too much. I just cashed everything out again and am going to take a break until 2006 when i'll start with a clear head, a PC to play at all the non-pokernetwork sites, pokertracker, and a plan in place to get to the next level.

Congrats to everyone on their accomplishments in 2005 and good luck in 2006.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 AM

One Year Ago
In October of last year a friend told me about a game on the internet where I might be able to make money and I might enjoy. I'm culturally illiterate and didn't know what hold'em was, as I hate television and just largly avoid fads.

I started with a $50 bankroll, added $200 to it and pretended that I was still on the $50 (denial). Read SSHE, TOP, and started a poker library, figured out that bonus whoring would help compensate for my bad early play.

I started to turn EV+ around March in SNGs and low stakes limit. My NL game was atrocious, and I really wanted to get into MTTs but I didn't have the knowledge.

I started lurking here in April and got HOH and HOH vol 2 when they came out. Made game adjustments, started crushing our home games and started to build the bankroll.

Took a break from July to November to teach English abroad. The school sucked and I was their bitch so I quit to play poker.

NOW

In the last month I've cashed 4 FTs, won an EPT seat at the Monaco final event and still don't play big pocket pairs right.

I look forward to learning more from my fellow 2+2ers to find out how I can get even more EV+ and find the holes in my game.

You all are the greatest, have an excellent year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 AM

One Year Ago

I was in highschool and played poker almost every day afterschool.

I was grinding 20$ and 50$ sngs while taking stabs at MTTs and some cash games.

I lurked on 2+2

I thought I was much better than I really was.

Now

I have played as high as 1k sngs, 1k MTT, and 50/100 NL

I am backed and am able to play pretty much any game I desire.

I am still just beginning to understand the game and learn more every day

I make a lot of half assed posts on 2+2

I am planning to take time off from college to play poker.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 AM

The day after thanksgiving '04 was the first poker tournament I ever played, and I won. Yes, only 500 but it was still amazing. From there, I took up online poker, playing mostly MTT's and SNG's... at a marginal ROI. Took a while, to build the roll, then found HOH vol 1 & 2... and became a student. Stumbled into 2+2 and learned to pushbot SNG's, eventually playing $109's STT's and always the 30-50 buyin MTT's.

Finally broke through in September winning a Super Weekday and the Guarenteed 40K in the same week! Took out a big wad of cash, then donked off another 5K playing STT's. Right now I am running so bad, and just trying to find my game [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Nov 2005: Made my 4th deposit of $600 on Empire Poker, and swore that I wouldn't put another penny into that account. When that was gone, I swore I would be done with online poker forever.

Played mostly 10+1 SNGs, 3/6 Limit, and a few MTTs a week, although mostly low limit satellites into the weekly 10K, 25K's etc.

Had a consistent history of grinding out small wins, only to move up prematurely and piss it all away.

Couldn't get away from King-Jack offsuit. Ever.

Nov 2006: Never had to make another deposit online.

Got Poker Tracker and logged approximately 200,000 hands in ring games and a ton of MTTs and STTs.

Still play some limit, mostly 10/20 or 15/30 6-max for +5BB/100. But it still makes me want to murder myself.

Learned and played a ton of PLO, mostly 400 (but 2000 when I'm mentally up for it) for +22BB/100.

Won my first big MTT. Did it again 3 months later. 6 figures combined ... awww yyyyea.

Moved up to mostly 109s SNGs, sometimes wander into the 215s. Am still amazed at the mediocre play and lack of creativity. 42% ITM/34% ROI.

Played in the Main Event at the WSOP, bought in directly. I didn't win it. Some Australian guy did.

Opened up an account on PokerStars (to play small MTTs) so I an still get my fix when I'm drunk or not focused.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 AM

One year ago

I had exactly one large MTT win ever (as well as one FT ever), and that was almost two years ago - it was a $5 tourney with a field of 489 on 7sultans - I thought I was good, but basically I got lucky - it was also my 1st FT ever. I was playing $5 and $10 SnGs on UB almost exclusively, and was barely eeking out a profit. I didn't use any stats programs. I kept a very small bankroll online. I didn't multi-table. I frequently played above my bankroll. I donked off a giant stack in the Foxwoods WPT $565 after satelliting in.

Since

I started lurking in MTT and read HoH. Basically, I smartened up. This past year, I have won 4 online MTTs with 12 or so FTs (I still don't use a stats program - blasphemy, I know). The biggest win was a $33 on UB. My best FT was in the weekly UB $215, which I satellited into. I have no idea what my ROI is, but I know how much profit I've made - it was about 15% of my total income this year. I also made my first 3 B+M FTs, with a 10th, a 3rd, and my first win (a field of 189 in a $60 Foxwoods tourney). I still play a lot of $5 and $10 SnGs, but usually the 2, 3, or 5-table tourneys on PS. I still keep a relatively small bankroll online, and withdraw my profits to my savings account. I also frequently blow poker profits on stupid stuff. I still play MTTs above my bankroll sometimes. I never play more than 2 tables at once. I blew $465 trying to satellite into the WPT $10k event. I satellited into the Foxwoods WPT $565 again, but took a couple bad beats and finished in the middle of the pack. I am presently in the midst of a 3-month downswing/dry spell - I haven't made a FT in 3 months, and my cashes have all been pretty weak.

Really, poker is still a game to me - but a game I understand how to win. Still, I don't see myself ever taking it more seriously than I do right now. I play to have fun, and I like winning, so that's why I work on my game. There is no doubt I still play badly sometimes, but now I can recognize when this is happening. I've found that I have to be in the right frame of mind, so instead of forcing myself to concentrate, I just stop playing and go find something else to do. I do not "need" the extra money I make from playing, and I have no intentions of ever attempting to go pro.