Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 06:45 PM

Default WHAT!?!?.....JJ hand

I have JJ. 1/2 NL 6max. I raise to $7 pre-flop. 2 callers. Flop is 7-9-10. I bet $9. Both call. Turn is 8 of spades. Now there's 3 spades on board. I bet $9. One guy calls. Next guy raises $26 more. I fold my straight. The other guy calls. River is a Q of spades. Check. Check. One guy had trip 8's, the other guy had A-J for the straight. Neither had spades. I would have won it with a flush because one of my J's was a spade. Is there any way I can call that $26 raise??
Old 12-04-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: WHAT!?!?.....JJ hand

Preflop: You raised with Jacks which is good. You get cold called so you're probably not up against a bigger pair.

Flop: You got a reasonably good flop for jacks, but there are both flush and straight draws and a high probability your opponents have overcards. You absolutely have to make your standard pot sized bet here and try to take it down. Betting 9$ into a ~24$ pot just isn't going to push out anyone.

The Turn: Once again you can't bet 9$ into a 51$ pot. You either bet around the size of the pot to represent the flush or you check/fold to a significant raise.

The big mistake in your play is the flop though. You gave someone the right odds to chase a straight (and they hit a set) and another person the odds to chase with overcards.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 PM

bet the flop big.

damn river
Old 12-04-2004, 09:25 PM

I don't come out betting $24 because they could still call me on a draw, or they could have QQ, 10-10, 9-9, 7-7. That's why many times I underbet the flop and usually see what happens on the turn. The turn I hit my straight but a possible flush was out there. I might have checked that if I did it again. I don't like betting $24 into that flop with all the hands people could hold. AK, AQ and those types of hands are more likely, but I'm not usually doing pot sized bets with just JJ. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't come out betting $24 because they could still call me on a draw, or they could have QQ, 10-10, 9-9, 7-7. That's why many times I underbet the flop and usually see what happens on the turn. The turn I hit my straight but a possible flush was out there. I might have checked that if I did it again. I don't like betting $24 into that flop with all the hands people could hold. AK, AQ and those types of hands are more likely, but I'm not usually doing pot sized bets with just JJ. I could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are definitely wrong. if you were in this situation 1000 times, and bet $24 on the flop every time, the money you made from taking the pot on the flop would cover your losses from the times when you ran into QQ TT 99 or 77.

yes, it is true that you will lose some big pots when you are in this situation. but you will lose more by being too passive. you have to gamble here.