Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Stopping when you know you are on tilt

Ok so the last few months I have been really focusing on improving my mental game. I don't tilt too much anymore and have achieved a more objective, Zen state. I do things like not looking at my cashier for a week (this helps immensely!).

However, I 4-5 table 10/20 6max limit holdem and sometimes I'll have a 20 minute stretch where I just get annihilated. I'm sure most of you know how it is: everyone is putting moves on you, you're not hitting any flops, your image is horrible, etc. These quick successions of beats often put me on tilt.

My biggest problem, though, is not being able to stop when I have this sort of experience early in a session. I'll realize that I'm on tilt, but I can't really get myself to stop playing soon enough. My "tilt" is a subtle sort of tilt, like what John Feeney describes in Inside the Poker Mind. Making iso re-raises in bad spots, slightly loose call downs, etc.

I feel like I'm not ending my session for a few reasons:

1. I feel that, even though I'm not playing my A game, I still have a positive winrate while on this subtle tilt (I really dont know if this is true).

2. I want to make up some of the losses. I'll say to myself: "ok, I'm on tilt but I'm just gonna try to make up 25BB then I'll stop" or something like that. Sometimes it just keeps getting worse though.

3. I think I might be able to get myself off tilt. This sometimes happens if I win a few pots in a row, but often my tilt seems to increase exponentially.

4. When I sit down for a session I really don't want to cut it short. I'm looking to play at least 2 hours or crank out 700+ hands. Obviously this isn't the best way to maximize wins if I don't stop when I'm tilting.

I am good about not playing again for a while when I've just ended a tilty session. I'll wait for my mind to clear. My problem is actually ENDING that session! Another bad thing about this is when I let myself get more tilted it takes longer for my mind to clear after the session is over.

So my question basically is: When I realize that I am starting to tilt...how can I force myself to stop playing?