Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Comments appreciated on 88 .25/.50 hand

Comments on all streets appreciated. I've been trying to loosen up my game lately, is this too loose, or just right?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB
Old 11-19-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Comments appreciated on 88 .25/.50 hand

*grunch*

Hey ImsaKidd-

Preflop: Call is ok and is a little on the loose side if that is what your are going for. Reads will better determine whether calling 88 with a raise in front is g00t or not.

Flop: This is a large pot but against that K I think hero's PP&gt;MP is marginal at best (assuming were up against one Kx out there). In light of the bet directly on our right it is either raise or fold. Again, pot is too big to fold so I think the raise is ok to limit the field and possibly buy a free card but I would scrutinize the turn very closely.

Turn: I think you should have checked behind here. Even though we did pick up a gutshot redraw I think the free card play here would have been better.

As played...

Again I recommend checking behind here on the river. We didn't make our str8 and I don't see 8's &amp; 7's as a good value bet with the K overcard.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Yes that is overly aggressive, practicall spewing raising against 3 opponents and the flop bettor. I would fold the flop. You are against 4 opponents and one raised before the flop, your 8's are not good here enough even for one bet on the flop. You have only two outs and a measly BDSD neither of which will be the nuts if you hit, easy fold.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Flop call is fine - I call 2 with any pocket pair in LP for set value.

That being said, you missed the flop - why are you raising the flop? Do you think you're best here? I'd probably fold unless I *really* thought the flop missed everyone, then I might peel one off hoping for an eight...fold the turn UI.

It's something I'm working on - letting go of mid-low PP when the flop misses. generally even big pots don't offer odds to peel one when you only have 2 outs.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:09 PM

Fold the flop
Turn bet is OK as you played the flop.
Check the river
Old 11-19-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop call is fine - I call 2 with any pocket pair in LP for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I dont know about doing that. So you call two cold with 22-44 and the like. That is a big leak and one that needs fixed real soon. Even in EP first in I will probably fold 22-55 but limp 66-99. I would probably cold call 55-99 in LP if there is at least two other opponents in the hand. You only hit your set 12% of the time and those times you miss really add up and when you hit you are not guaranteed a payout for compensation on your missed sets.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: This is a large pot but against that K I think hero's PP&gt;MP is marginal at best (assuming were up against one Kx out there). In light of the bet directly on our right it is either raise or fold. Again, pot is too big to fold so I think the raise is ok to limit the field and possibly buy a free card but I would scrutinize the turn very closely.

Turn: I think you should have checked behind here. Even though we did pick up a gutshot redraw I think the free card play here would have been better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason to raise this flop is to fold out QQ/JJ or even AQ. I don't like the flop raise but checking the turn as the flop played out is pretty terrible.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 PM

I forgot to mention reads, ugh (I'm getting better at posting, still bad habits though).

This table had been EXTREMELY loose. There had been multiway pots won with ace high, and lots of calldowns with mid/bottom pair. I was pretty sure my 88 was good on this flop. That said, do any of your comments change, or was I still too aggressive?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention reads, ugh (I'm getting better at posting, still bad habits though).

This table had been EXTREMELY loose. There had been multiway pots won with ace high, and lots of calldowns with mid/bottom pair. I was pretty sure my 88 was good on this flop. That said, do any of your comments change, or was I still too aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

The looseness of the table doesn't really mean anything to me. The only thing that matters is MP3. What are his PFR raising standards? Does he autobet flops after raising PF? Can he fold postflop?
If he raises AQ/AJ PF and autobets flops, or if you can get him to fold QQ-TT, your line is fine up until the river. The default player at these limits don't fit either of those criteria though IMO.