Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will GWB be an Anchor?
Yes 24 58.54%
No 17 41.46%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: I\'m turning jason into a LAG. The AQo test?

I don't understand how people are saying this "isn't close". I think three-betting here is fine, but this hand is just over the threshold of profitability with worse hands being losers in this spot. If you are one of the people who said this is super easy and not close to unprofitable, then where do you consider the borderline to be where a three-bet in this spot tips towards -EV? AT? KQ?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can do the math if this is challenged, but I think you are behind raiser's range. I think PFR converges very quickly and would give that 2300 hand read some weight. Since we are getting pretty exact in this thread, it is pertinent to know how the 13/8 stat is filtered.

Even though you are behind raiser's range, I think there is a case to made for 3 betting, and it is what I would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stats were filtered for 10/20 data from tables with eight or more players. I would love to see what you come up with because I'm pretty sure I'm behind the pfr's range.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how people are saying this "isn't close". I think three-betting here is fine, but this hand is just over the threshold of profitability

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about where I see it. It seems some think that just because you will 3 bet here you will just blow chips postflop along the way as if one had blinders on. If you do see the flop, you do have to be a little careful.

b
Old 12-14-2005, 05:06 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
then where do you consider the borderline to be where a three-bet in this spot tips towards -EV? AT? KQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question because it should be +EV if he was just a naked raise, but the presence of the limper should firm him back up, but it also sways the hand values a little, a cold call with KQs should be profitable here right? Especially if we can expect a call from the BB. AJo is clearly a loser, AJs possibly ok, but I'm willing to bet it's on the edge of negative. AQs liekly healthy, AQo, not so good. These are all by feel and not by simulation but I'd be interested to see were the break over is. It would also be interesting to see were the break over is for pairs. Around 88 I would think.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
but the presence of the limper should firm him back up,

[/ QUOTE ]

Should also consider the 'type' of limper we have here. If the raiser is 'decent' he is likely aware he isn't just raising anybody here.

b
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then where do you consider the borderline to be where a three-bet in this spot tips towards -EV? AT? KQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question because it should be +EV if he was just a naked raise, but the presence of the limper should firm him back up, but it also sways the hand values a little, a cold call with KQs should be profitable here right? Especially if we can expect a call from the BB. AJo is clearly a loser, AJs possibly ok, but I'm willing to bet it's on the edge of negative. AQs liekly healthy, AQo, not so good. These are all by feel and not by simulation but I'd be interested to see were the break over is. It would also be interesting to see were the break over is for pairs. Around 88 I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3-betting 99+, calling with 77 and 88, folding 66-, raising AQo+. I'm still on the fence about AJs.

The difference between AJo and AQo is clearly demarcated enough for me to consider AQo an easy 3-bet. I don't think AJo is a "clear" loser here, but it's enough of a marginal 3-bet that I'm not making it without postflop reads.

Rob
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Definitely, and the fact that player is a fish in front of him would make him more likely to raise with hands such as KJ,QJ etc... in order to isolate rather then limp behind.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do see the flop, you do have to be a little careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Chance of being outplayed, as well as being behind to begin with. If the 13/8 guy is weak post-flop, then maybe I'd try it once in a while.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:30 PM

easy 3-bet IMO as the villains range to isolate the fish is wide.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more poker you play the more you should realise that AQo is virtually never fit to cold-call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I teach my wife that she should never coldcall as the 1st one in. Then, when she's not looking, I coldcall raises with AQ all the time. You can play this hand to fit or fold profitably under almost all table conditions.

I only fold against the tightest raisers, and only 3-bet against the loosest, and feel that, after struggling with this hand for ages, I finally have AQ figured out...

-Eric

edit: just realized that this is not the OP, but the "first unread" post in this thread I'm visiting for the first time... In teh hand, I like a 3-bet, calling next, folding last.