Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-17-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Dealing with losing money

How do some of you higher stake players deal with losing money, like alot of it? I have a pretty nice sized bankroll, but I think what holds me back is I am scared to play step 5s oon a regular basis because I dont wanna deal with losing 10 to 20k which will invaribly happen.

How do some of you deal with it, or does it always suck when it happens? I guess its all relative, that a year ago I would of had a breakdown if I lost 1500, now it would be off my mind 10 mins after losing computer screen. Im just looking for some help in how you guys progressed to these levels or deal with losing that much money. Thanks for any help
Old 12-17-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Dealing with losing money

lol
Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 PM

I lose more $$$$ before 6:00AM than most people do all day long [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 PM

practice losing money till it gets easier
Old 12-17-2005, 02:20 PM

Think of your bankroll in terms of an investment, rather than $$$.. and also in terms of buy-ins. That way you can see that instead of losing the money, you were simply speculating to accumulate, much like in stocks and shares.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:45 PM

Being good at losing $$$ takes years of practice & dedication....And it is important that you lose money at many different activities....Losing $$$ gambling is the "core", of course, but you have to lose $$$ in the stock market, real estate, commodities, lending it to Friends/Relatives and, finally, chasing Puss.

The most highly-prized quality of a good money-loser is that he is able to squander fortunes with a certain "Je ne sais quoi" (or "savoir faire" if you prefer)...But, it's a lot like telling a lie; -it's not really a lie if you believe that it's true--similarly, the ability to lose $$$ with grace depends on the loser having a detachment from money that is rarely found in our consumer-oriented society.
You can't view $$$ as a meduim of exchange that might improve the quality of your life &/or the lives of those that are dependant on you; you must view it as "filty luchre" that must be disposed off in an instant.

One good way to become accustomed to losing $$$$ is to spend a good portion of your most productive years trying to devise a "system" to beat roulette [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Well, I realize that money is not the end all in this world. Friends, family, and health are far far superior in terms of importance in this life. Money comes and goes, and those who spend a ton of time worrying about it will live a very shallow life. I dunno, I guess I am desensitized to the value of it.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am scared to play step 5s oon a regular basis because I dont wanna deal with losing 10 to 20k which will invaribly happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 03:38 PM

what?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:41 PM

that has nothing to do with living in a house as a 20 yr old where its a hassle for people to get 5 dollars together for beer, and you are down 12k that week. I think its what holds me back the most, I was trying to get advice from people who have dealt with this sort of thing.