Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Am I playing like a huge LAG fish this hand?

Villain has VPIP of 62%, PFR of 30%, showing very aggressive tendencies postflop after 90 hands. This whole session i was playing tight, maybe even weak-tight 15%VPIP (no cards!) 5%PFR, but that probably doesnt matter since players at $25NL 6max don't think often.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Button ($56.37)
SB ($18.71)
Hero ($34.55)
UTG ($32.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.5</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.45</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $1.45.

Turn: ($4.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $4.2</font>, Hero calls $32.60 (All-In), Button calls $28.40.

Final Pot: $69.60

Villain had to think a long time before calling, but finally called it down. Should I have made a small raise on the flop? Should i have even called the prefop miniraise with a suited 1-gapper? Should i not have put nim to a decision for a significant part of his stack with my flush, straight, and full house draw?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Am I playing like a huge LAG fish this hand?

1. the preflop call is fine. I don't want to hear anyone say you should fold this for a minraise with those implied odds.

2. I usually lead this flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have made a small raise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO no. You should either make a real raise that lets him know you have something or flat call.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 AM

Any opinions on that all-in? I have been thinking about making big huge all-in semibluffs like that when I have a great draw like that, but I'm a natural tight-weak, so I am trying to experiment with sytles.

By the way, the river was a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for my full house and the villain had 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the low-end straight.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 AM

PF is good with the implied odds, you will see some real hands with a min raise that call all the way down (i.e Premium to absolute garbage). On this flop I like the C/c followed by a turn evaluation. If the turn helps me a lead, if it hurts or is neutral I c.c a reasonable bet and fold to a big one. Villian is calling with an overpair here, maybe TPTK, and offshoot has a OESD or FD. I think your push will get him to fold enough times to be EV and will win its fair share of pots too.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 AM

Against a player like that I lead that flop about every time, and check/call the turn.

I really don't your turn c/r all-in. He almost definitely sucks enough to pay off when you hit the river, so why let him get his money in with the best of it on the turn? The guy is not gonna fold much of anything, he's a fish.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He almost definitely sucks enough to pay off when you hit the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume he sucks? It sounds like the guy might be playing a successful aggressive short handed game?

In this hand, the villain got all of the hero's money in as a decent favorite. According to the poster, the villain took his time to consider whether or not to call the allin with a made hand.

Too often on these forums, we assume all our opponents are idiots. This villain sounds decent to me.