Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Comment on this statement relating to crime and punishment

I recently was having a discussion w/ someone regarding crime and punishment (sparked by the whole Tookie thing), when the other party made this statement after I stated that I believed sex offenders should be castrated (both as a deterrent and a preventative measure against future crime):

"I think castration is equivalent to the death penalty."

Regardless of whether or not you agree with my opinion, please comment on that statement.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Comment on this statement relating to crime and punishment

Since sex offenders have a high recidivism rate, then I believe castration would not be cruel and unusual for offenders who re-offend, regardless of how the SCOTUS interprets cruel and unusual. And I don't mean chemical either.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 AM

I assume that he meant it's problematic because, like the death penalty, should it be applied to an innocent man, it's irreversible.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:55 AM

You have a good point about this, but it only means that such punishment should be done on multiple crime perpetrators and with DNA evidence, so that for a one time alleged offense based on the word of one person without forensic evidence, that there could be no miscarriage of justice.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a good point about this, but it only means that such punishment should be done on multiple crime perpetrators and with DNA evidence, so that for a one time alleged offense based on the word of one person without forensic evidence, that there could be no miscarriage of justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that, in a strictly legal sense, some people can be more guilty than others? I'm curious how this could be implemented without a complete breakdown of basic tenets of our legal system.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 AM

I'm saying that sex offenders who re-offend, i.e. they have been convicted and punished and then convicted again, are extremely unlikely to have been convicted for multiple offenses wrongly and also by their re-offending have shown that they are a danger to society if released again. So I would therefore say that castration is an appropriate punishment when that repeat offend criterion has been met.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since sex offenders have a high recidivism rate, then I believe castration would not be cruel and unusual for offenders who re-offend, regardless of how the SCOTUS interprets cruel and unusual. And I don't mean chemical either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you would say something like this. Creating political disunity at home by questioning SCOTUS rulings is only helping our enemy in Iraq.

I just hope and pray that Zarqawi will not see your post and become further emboldened. Still, I fear your post has him chanting "All praise be to Allah" and ordering another insurgent attack.

Your post is just another example of why freedom of speech needs to be curtailed. NOW!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that sex offenders who re-offend, i.e. they have been convicted and punished and then convicted again, are extremely unlikely to have been convicted for multiple offenses wrongly and also by their re-offending have shown that they are a danger to society if released again. So I would therefore say that castration is an appropriate punishment when that repeat offend criterion has been met.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the repeat offenders who almost certainly are guilty. If you're saying that repeat offenders should be castrated because they definitely ARE guilty, you are, by corollary, admitting that other convicted sexual offenders might not be guilty. If you admit that people who are convicted in a court of law, supposedly beyond a reasonable doubt, might not be guilty, do you see how that would throw every conviction into jeopardy?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you would say something like this. Creating political disunity at home by questioning SCOTUS rulings is only helping our enemy in Iraq.

I just hope and pray that Zarqawi will not see your post and become further emboldened. Still, I fear your post has him chanting "All praise be to Allah" and ordering another insurgent attack.

Your post is just another example of why freedom of speech needs to be curtailed. NOW!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's now official: My thread has been hijacked by a troll.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 AM

I am saying that since castration, like death, is irrevocable, then it should not be imposed for one time or first offenses, since obviously there is always a small probablility of being convicted falsely. Thus the harshest punishment is reserved for those cases when such a probability is very close to zero, which should be the case for multiple occasion offenders.