Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Who\'s the next Detroit/Michigan coach to get fired?

that game the 3rd saturday in november means more than the bowl game unless its for the nat'l championship.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 PM

i agree with p.dirty.

and if we're in the natl championship game, that means we've already won the single most important game of the year already.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to choose one, John L is outta there. Previous coaches have had similar "success" and have given the boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Previous coaches at MSU? Who? Perles retired after like 20 years as HC. Then Saban took over for a few years, and left for LSU after his best season. Bobby Williams was let go after a couple seasons because he not only didn't produce, but he didn't have any discipline in his players.

Smith was 5-6 this year and 5-6 last year, missing a bowl berth two consecutive years. In 2003 he went 8-5, but 5 of his first 6 games were at home. They went 5-1 during that stretch, with that one loss coming at home to LA TECH.

The managed to squeak out a couple road wins against Minnesota and Illinois, and the finale at home against Penn State. But they lost at home to UM, on the road to OSU and UW, and in their bowl game to Nebraska.

The only moderately impressive win of the season was winning on the road against Notre Dame, but they didn't end up having much of a season anyway.

Smith's job is not in jeopardy as long as he doesn't embarrass the University the way Williams did. He will always get an A for effort from Ron Mason (the AD at MSU).

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Michigan's championship in '97 may have been the best thing to happen to OSU and PSU. In terms of talent, Michigan is the most balanced team in the country east of California almost every year - good skill players, good OL, good defense. Carr seems like a good recruiter but a bad football coach and he's probably getting fired never.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? You cannot be a good recruiter without being a good coach. Period.

BTW PSU hasn't beaten UM since 1996. You think Carr's longevity has made Paterno's job easier?

As far as OSU goes, UM should have won the game this year and they should have won last year as well. I guess you could credit OSU's toughness in both games. Since Tressel has gotten there their teams are much more disciplined and they execute better, much better than in the Cooper era. UM exploited those weaknesses even though often OSU had the better record and arguably the more talented roster.

I think UM beats OSU in Columbus next year.

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Post deleted by me as I read the OP wrong
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Michigan's championship in '97 may have been the best thing to happen to OSU and PSU. In terms of talent, Michigan is the most balanced team in the country east of California almost every year - good skill players, good OL, good defense. Carr seems like a good recruiter but a bad football coach and he's probably getting fired never.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? You cannot be a good recruiter without being a good coach. Period.

BTW PSU hasn't beaten UM since 1996. You think Carr's longevity has made Paterno's job easier?

As far as OSU goes, UM should have won the game this year and they should have won last year as well. I guess you could credit OSU's toughness in both games. Since Tressel has gotten there their teams are much more disciplined and they execute better, much better than in the Cooper era. UM exploited those weaknesses even though often OSU had the better record and arguably the more talented roster.

I think UM beats OSU in Columbus next year.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moron. OSU dominated UM that entire game this year. If it weren't for our atrocious special teams play (usually as good as the defense), you wouldn't have even sniffed the lead.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

I didn't see but the end of the game, where if I am not mistaken UM had the lead going into the last minute of the game. You should ALWAYS win in that circumstance. I don't care about the rest of the game, nor did I say that they deserved to win the game.

Carr will never be fired, in fact his contract guarantees him an administrative position when he moves on from coaching. Five Big Ten Championships and one NC in 10 years pretty much secures job security. This will be the first year in a decade that they won't play a game in January.

Enough of this already.

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

Lloyd's only got a couple of years left anyway, and no he's not getting fired (nor should he at this point). Hopefully we make a good run next year and he decides to hang it up. Not that he's bad for the program, but he's not especially good either and things have gotten stagnant and dull. Time for some new blood ala 1969.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that he's bad for the program, but he's not especially good either and things have gotten stagnant and dull.

[/ QUOTE ]

A top 5 nationally ranked recruiting class every year isn't especially good for the program?

Stagnant and dull? You are a bore. Go jump on the MSU basketball bandwagon, that is if you aren't already on it.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A top 5 nationally ranked recruiting class every year isn't especially good for the program?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be a lot more impressed by a top 5 national ranking in a month other than September in actual football.

We haven't lost less than 3 games since 99. We haven't made it out of September undefeated since 99, and it's not like we're playing a slate of Florida State/USC/Texas or anything either. I realize we can't have a top 5 team every year, but we should compete for national titles at least every few years. We haven't. That should be considered unnacceptable for a program that considers itself among the best.