Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Explain to me why my attitude is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Kid says - I was just sending a message.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great line. But won't work in this case.

The "message" in the movie was received and understood by those for whom it was intended.

I'm not against guns. I had a gun on the premises of a business I owned. I would not have used it as the OP described. A shot in the back of a fleeing perp is, IMO, cowardly. A well-placed shot in his ass, thigh, or lower, would have gotten nothing but major lawsuits.

I'd have emptied my clip over his head and around him. That might have been a good "message" to him, and him alone. Well, maybe he'd have talked to his buds about it (after he'd changed his underwear) and they'd have gotten a little hint.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:29 PM

This isn't illegal in Kansas City.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because your property is not worth a human life.

This should really be moved ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but a violent extortionist's life isn't worth a human life either.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because your property is not worth a human life.

[/ QUOTE ]
So alot of people are referring to "a life" not being worth "the money", but I would say the robber's life is not worth any money. Or more precisely, he is worth negative money - in that his existance is a drain on the rest of society functioning as we would deign appropriate. His violent crimes carry a societal cost.

[ QUOTE ]
I think one more dead violent crook is no loss to the world at all, but that doesn't mean it's up to random individuals to do it

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there someone else more qualified? More than the person who just had their life-threatened and their money stolen? Also, use of the word "random" here is objectionable.

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe otherwise, then it logically follows that you believe a sentence of death to be an appropriate sentence for a convicted armed robber.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay!

I mean, if there was some way to be certain that no one was ever wrongly convicted, I think I would be. But human memory sucks, people ID the wrong guy, can't remember details, people plant evidence, etc. Which is why shooting the guy at the scene is optimal - you can be certain that you have the right guy, and avoid the risk of the guy: a) committing any more crimes, b) getting off on some technicality, c) obscuring evidence, or d) avoiding capture.

With upwards of 4 billion people on the planet, I am not opposed to some culling.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 PM

hmmmm

I'm not bothered by this emotionally.

The only problem is that, practically, this puts you at a high degree of legal risk, but then duh. Fire is hot.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe move this to politics?

You have a store front. A man comes in, sticks a gun in your face, and demands money. You give it to him, and then as he turns and runs for the door, you reach under your counter, grab your gun, and shoot him. He dies.

Your action seems perfectly acceptable to me. Explain to me I am wrong, why this is immoral, and why the world is a better place because this is illegal and with your subsequent imprisonment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple answer: "Officer, I feared for my life". You'll be fine.

The main moral implication in this act is that if he has an accomplice, you are sentencing the accomplice to life or even the death penalty due to the insane felony murder rule.

A man armed with a gun == you should shoot him if you can. To do otherwise is to simply hope that he won't murder you and that he isn't so high he'll fail to understand what's going on.

Simply put, don't wait for the gun-wielding criminal to act like a decent human being. Your life may be at stake. No jury will convict. This post may also serve as a warning to anyone who is thinking of breaking in my home: how do you know I'm not bluffing?

natedogg
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No jury will convict.

[/ QUOTE ]
That, is not a slam dunk.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM

I would have no problem shooting this person. I would probably try to just wound him, but I doubt I would really feel to bad about him dying.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have no problem shooting this person. I would probably try to just wound him, but I doubt I would really feel to bad about him dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you lose your house and IRA to him as a result of his civil suit you will.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe move this to politics?

You have a store front. A man comes in, sticks a gun in your face, and demands money. You give it to him, and then as he turns and runs for the door, you reach under your counter, grab your gun, and shoot him. He dies.

Your action seems perfectly acceptable to me. Explain to me I am wrong, why this is immoral, and why the world is a better place because this is illegal and with your subsequent imprisonment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple answer: "Officer, I feared for my life". You'll be fine.

The main moral implication in this act is that if he has an accomplice, you are sentencing the accomplice to life or even the death penalty due to the insane felony murder rule.

A man armed with a gun == you should shoot him if you can. To do otherwise is to simply hope that he won't murder you and that he isn't so high he'll fail to understand what's going on.

Simply put, don't wait for the gun-wielding criminal to act like a decent human being. Your life may be at stake. No jury will convict. This post may also serve as a warning to anyone who is thinking of breaking in my home: how do you know I'm not bluffing?

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what backwater state you are from, but in the real USA this is 100% illeagal. Shoot him and he lives, you get sued and go to jail. Shoot him and he dies, you go to jail and maybe avoid a wrongful death lawsuit. I seriously doubt the "I feared for my life (as he ran away from me out the door) officer" is going to work anywhere that isnt texas or some place like that.

The people who say they would shoot to wound him, why? Shoot him in hte leg and he rolls over and pops you in the chest. Better to either shoot to kill, or just be a normal person and let him run away. It looks like momst of the gun toters would love this opportunity to show how manly they are by shooting a fleeing man. Gulity or not once he turns and flees you are not in danger, furthermore you are free to flee the other way to increase your lack of danger. You are certainly 100% wrong to shoot him as he leaves.

FYI it is illegal in most cities to discharge your fire arm without cause, so even if you "empty your clip" around him your still in a load of trouble.