Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Thinking about getting a dog

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a dog. Look at how awesome these dogs are.

I'm only 21, single, no real permanent address. Should that be a problem?

Does it matter where you get them or can you just get one at the pound or something?

How hard is it to train dogs? I have virtually no experience training (but a lot of experience playing with dogs :-D, they're awesome).

Is there some standard good books about training?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting a dog

<------My bulldog masterbates.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Good pictures.

Definitely get one from the pound. If you get a mix, just be careful as some breeds tend to have some socialization issues.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Do you live alone, or with roommates? Do you work fulltime away-from-home, or do you making a living playing The Game That Must Not Be Named?

I ask because it'd suck big-time for the dog to be locked up at home 8 hours a day, plus whatever time you spend away at night. And would probably lead to big-time behavioral problems. I love dogs (have one myself), but they aren't cats . . . they need attention, and aren't thrilled to be deserted for long, long periods of time on a regular basis.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Dogs are awesome and are more fun to hang out with than most people. Make sure your landlord is cool with pets, some aren't, but I'm sure you already know this. If you are out all the time you will have to make sure the dog gets let out, especially when it is a pup.

IMO it doesn't matter where you get the dog because you are going love it regardless, and getting a dog from the pound and saving its life would probably make you feel good. Otherwise people are always giving away puppies or selling them for cheap. If you want a purebred, then you will be spending some money.

In my past experiences, training dogs has been easy, just make sure you have lots of treats around. It is also tons of fun and you feel great when they start to get it.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Go to the SPCA, those dogs are on death row. Find the one that's about a year old or so and isn't barking hysterically.

Seriously a dog is the greatest thing in the world. If you're ever going to be around small kids or anything I highly reccomend a female, just because they tend to be a little mellower.

One concern if you have no permant address I would maybe hold off. Even if you have somewhere else to let the dog stay while you're moving around it's not fair to have to move your pet around whenever you please, dog's get comfy in an enviroment and it's not right to move them around all the time.

But seriously they're great, my brother is taking care of my dog right now (a collie coyote halfbreed) and I make a point of visiting her about once a month. They are seriously the most loyal creatures (and kind if raised right) that you'll ever encounter. I've dumped girlfriends over my dog with no regrets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
21, single

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice re: being single, is to get a puppy in the spring so that he's still cute as hell during the summer when you can walk him in the park and pick up chicks. There's no greater chick magnet than a cute puppy.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:16 PM

Research the Breed!!

If you're not an active person - don't get an active dog. You and your dog will be miserable. Go to the library or bookstore and find a good book on dog breeds. Something like this will get you started on finding the right breed to match your personality. Then you can go to your local pound and see if they have one. Adopting a dog is GOOD! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Otherwise, if you're looking for a purebread dog, wwww.akc.com will have information on local breeders in your area.

FYI - Getting a dog from the pound = $100-200; Getting a purebread = $500-$1000+
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
21, single

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice re: being single, is to get a puppy in the spring so that he's still cute as hell during the summer when you can walk him in the park and pick up chicks. There's no greater chick magnet than a cute puppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be the best piece of advice that comes out of this thread.

Be sure to spend some time and come up with a good name too.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM

dogs are awesome, the only thing I'd say is that some of my friends that got dogs around your age ended up doing stuff like moving to china/getting a job where they were on the road all the time/etc a few years later and in all 3 cases had to give the dog to a friend/family member. this was upsetting to both them and the dog.

just make sure you kind of have a very rough plan for the next 20 years that includes the dog, as in, maybe resolve not to move to china.

--turnipmonster