Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 PM

Default More McManus vs. Ellix Powers ... NY Times article

McManus eats (a bit) of humble pie ...

NY Times article (free registration required)
Old 10-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: More McManus vs. Ellix Powers ... NY Times article

I had a feeling there was more than just Ellix betting in the dark to piss off McManus. He at least shows some class in apologizing in his article. Mike Matsuow does the same thing as powers, goads people to throw them off their game. It only effects you if you let it, and McManus should have said nothing and all that taunting would be useless.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:36 AM

For the same reason that a bluff bet only works against thinking opponents, Ellix demonstrated that out-psyching and trash talking only works against certain players.

He played McManus well. Ellix was at Canterbury in Minnesota last week for the Fall Poker Classic. I haven't heard any stories yet. I did see him at the tables here and there, but he seemed to be content to listen to his ipod and keep quiet.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:08 AM

I like how Mcmanus thinks that Clutier and Chiu needed him to come to their defense. Like they have never been at a table with a drunk or obnoxious player and have no clue how to handle themselves. I seem to recall Chiu agreeing with Hennigan about Ellix being good for poker. The only one at the table whos panties were in a wad was Mcmanus.

Amarillo Slim has made a career out of talking people off of their game, and putting them on tilt. It worked pretty well for him as he had never lost a heads-up match until he ran into someone who his yapping had no effect on, Phil Ivey.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amarillo Slim has made a career out of talking people off of their game, and putting them on tilt. It worked pretty well for him as he had never lost a heads-up match until he ran into someone who his yapping had no effect on, Phil Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far from true. It MIGHT be the case that of the 4 or 5 times, ( i think, don't feel like looking up his bracelet count) he got heads up for a WSOP bracelet he had never lost, but I am positive of a minimum 2 ohter HU losses he had.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 AM

No, it is true.

You can Hendon Mob DB his name.

05-May-00 United States $ 2,500 Pot Limit Omaha
31st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2000, Las Vegas 2nd $ 97,500
03-May-99 United States $ 2,500 Omaha Limit
30th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1999, Las Vegas 17th $ 2,600
10-May-90 United States $ 5,000 Omaha Pot Limit
21st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1990, Las Vegas 1st $ 142,000
May-85 United States $ 5,000 Omaha Pot Limit
16th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1985, Las Vegas 1st $ 85,000
May-74 United States $ 1,000 No Limit Hold'em
5th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1974, Las Vegas 1st $ 11,100
May-72 United States $ 10,000 No Limit Hold'em World Championship
3rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1972, Las Vegas

4 out of 4 of his first cashes were wins, and the next he took 2nd to ivey. no other 2nd places listed.

it's completely true and also accurate. slim talks your ear off at the table, from every account i've read at least. in all honesty, most of these guys who talk your ear off AREN'T trying to get under your skin. a lot of it is just verbal warfare, and what you tell them gives them more information. in many indirect ways all of the answers even from small talk mean something. developing a rapport with a player and hearing what he has to say (or doesn't have to say) later can be used.

in most cases, that's all it is. in mcmanus' case, it got under his skin. it's not the first time something like that has happened.

and in ivey's case, he just don't give a [censored]. if you don't give a [censored] what someone has to say to you, and just flat out ignore their bantering, it will give them no edge. that's another reason i love having an mp3 player at the table. i like being in a shell playing poker (maybe that's why i like playing online so much), instead of chattering it up. i might miss some information verbally, but i don't get wound up ever. i also like wearing sunglasses in some tournaments for the same reason, so that no one can see where i am looking at any time. it has nothing to do with hiding fear or being iced down by players, i just don't like anyone to see where i am looking. it allows me to observe the entire table and no one has any idea what i'm watching. i usually don't look directly at who i am looking at for that reason.

and no, i don't wear sunglasses when i play a $100 tournament at 2 am at binion's. in fact, those guys are funny. same with $3-6 players who have a pokerstars shirt and hat, sunglasses and the whole thing.

it's mainly to avoid giving away where i am looking and to avoid giving much of any of my own visual cues away to thinking players. i think it is ridiculous but it's the standard and accepted, so i do it for that reason.

in all honesty i wouldn't care if sunglasses were banned, but if they aren't i'll use them and get what little edge out of them i can.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and no, i don't wear sunglasses when i play a $100 tournament at 2 am at binion's.

[/ QUOTE ]

but u cant read someone's soul without proper UV protection

i thought those tournaments sucked. just my opinion. ones at the plaza seemed way fishier to me when i was there in april.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...i also like wearing sunglasses in some tournaments for the same reason, so that no one can see where i am looking at any time...it allows me to observe the entire table and no one has any idea what i'm watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. That's what you think. Most of the time I can see players' eyes throught the lenses. Besides, your sunglasses don't hide your throat, hand mannerisms or betting patters--they just make you look like a new player...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[sunglasses] just make you look like a new player...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I've been playing poker for almost ten years and I wear sunglasses at the table. I think most people that have shite to say about players wearing sunglasses are insecure themselves. I couldn't care less about what you wear or don't wear at the table. The way you play indicates what type of player you are.
BTW, I like to wear sunglasses because I hate sitting at a table for 10+ hours under harsh fluorescent lighting, plus they make ME feel comfortable, I couldn't care less about what the players like you think.
To the Op, Mcmanus was a douche. Powers was classic. Give me more Ellix Powers.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 AM

Sure you don't care...that's why you said it three times [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]