Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:25 PM

Default 50/100 unraised pot, little help probably boring

Hero in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 handed
utg limps ($5000), button limps($16000), Hero completes ($15900), BB checks ($1100)

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot $400)
Hero leads $250, BB folds, UTG makes it $500, Button cc's $500, I call $250

9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot $1900)
Hero check, UTG chk, Button bet 1900, Hero call, UTG folds

9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot $5700)
Hero check, Button bet $5700, Hero folds

This just feels awful on turn and river, I'm trying to put him on a range, and I can't tell exactly what I'm up against.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: 50/100 unraised pot, little help probably boring

Bet pot on turn. Then you know you arent against a bluff if button plays, and small chance he has worse nine if he raises turn or pots river.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:34 PM

?I check raise turn? Call on river? You are 38% equity against a made flush on turn, and he may have a weaker 9. Too bad you didnt improve river, but could he be taking this like with J9 9T 98 97? I think he would call the min raise in position. However when you check call his pot bet on turn, he must think you have something, unless you would do this with the bare A. I think now actually folding the river is fine. He has to put you on something on the turn and he doesnt seem to care. But damn they so agressive in this game. I cant decide. Very very tough hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM

How come you checked the turn? Not only did you improve, but you need to protect and define your hand..It's a lot easier to put him on a range once you bet at him.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come you checked the turn? Not only did you improve, but you need to protect and define your hand..It's a lot easier to put him on a range once you bet at him.

[/ QUOTE ]b/c of the utg min raise AND the button cold-call...I don't want to get raised off my hand here, more of a pot control deal. This could be incorrect thinking though.

I think button is capable of having a set on flop here, right...he doesn't want to repot it b/c that'd obviously get everyone to immediately fold.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Why not reraise the flop? The fold at the end given your line was good....
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard "define" your hand a ton of times as something you want to do. I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not reraise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because then he's playing a monster pot out of position with the worst hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands have you improved against? Overapirs? Protecting against two outs with one card to come is surely not the most pressing concern for you. Defining your hand... you want them to play correctly against you?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:37 PM

spoohunter I completely agree with u here for the most part and also hate the term "define your hand". I think what it is getting at though is to define what u are representing and see how they react to it.