Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 33 in BB...Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
This is really not a good time for WA/WB. If you are ahead, he has way too many outs to play this passive. I think I would usually C/R this flop and lead out the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the noob question, but what is WA/WB?

Also, what do you think of donking the flop and then bet/folding or check folding the turn?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is really not a good time for WA/WB. If you are ahead, he has way too many outs to play this passive. I think I would usually C/R this flop and lead out the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the noob question, but what is WA/WB?

Also, what do you think of donking the flop and then bet/folding or check folding the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

WA/WB means Way Ahead or Way Behind. It essentially is a line you use when either you are ahead and your opponent is drawing to 2 or less outs, or you are behind and drawing to two or less outs. You pick the line that maximizes your win when ahead, and minimizes your loss when behind.

I don't like donking the flop for a reason that was recently explained to me. This more applied to marginal steal defenses in the BB that did not include PP's though. Anyways, the reason we can call 1 SB preflop with a marginal holding is because if we include the "thief's" auto-bet on the flop, we are effectively getting 3.5:1 odds on our preflop call. Donking the flop makes us much more readable, and reduces the odds we were getting on the PF call.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like donking the flop for a reason that was recently explained to me. This more applied to marginal steal defenses in the BB that did not include PP's though. Anyways, the reason we can call 1 SB preflop with a marginal holding is because if we include the "thief's" auto-bet on the flop, we are effectively getting 3.5:1 odds on our preflop call. Donking the flop makes us much more readable, and reduces the odds we were getting on the PF call.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you check raise the flop, doesn't that give him the right odds to call with overs?

Also, if you include the auto bet on the flop aren't you getting 4.5:1? There are already 3.5 SBs in the pot when we call PF. Am I missing something?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, if you include the auto bet on the flop aren't you getting 4.5:1? There are already 3.5 SBs in the pot when we call PF. Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the odds we would get on a flop call. I'm talking about preflop. Preflop we are getting 2.5:1 immediate odds to make that call, which isn't very good with marginal hands. However, you can pretty much be certain he will be the flop if checked to, making your odds much closer to 3.5:1 if you want to call PF

He would actually only be getting slightly less than correct odds to call with two overs. Also, he may only have one overcard to the J, and decide to fold which is good. He may have a mid PP and decide to fold which is good. If he calls, misses and you lead the turn, he will hopefully fold which is good.