Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Mind Boggling

Many men around my age go through some type of mid life crisis. I think I'm going through some type of mid life complete annoyance and exasperation with organized religion.

I'm not sure why, but 5 years ago I just ignored these people or politely smiled and it didn't really affect me in any way. I was married to someone who believed in god, have dated women who believe in god, and we just basically agreed to disagree about that particular issue. I taught at a catholic high school, went to church because it was expected, and just went about living my life.

Now, some of the stuff that they say and do just really really annoys me to no end.

Lets assume for a second that there is no god. (a distinct possibility based on any empirical evidence that's out there)
That means that for almost 2000 years people have been building churches, attending church, fighting wars, reading the bible, etc for no real reason. That's quite mind boggling if you think about it. What a waste of the human mind and body.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Mind Boggling

What age do you consider to be "mid-life", Jasper?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 PM

I agree with you, but then all of our arguments to try to persuade zealots to see it, is just as big of a waste.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What age do you consider to be "mid-life", Jasper?

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned 46 last month. It's funny that you ask. Mid 30's should actually be mid life when you consider average life expectancy. I guess people in their 40's and 50's (me included) don't want to face up to the fact that we're getting close to the home stretch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Actually, I asked because I would have guessed mid 30’s from your question. (But, SDrugsM knows I am no Sherlock Holmes in the age estimate department.) I say that because, I would have thought it almost the reverse. That as one gets older, one often comes full circle back to religion (with a better understanding of it, I would think).

As far as our age (+3, btw) I learned at least this (quote) at college: You’re only young once, but you can be immature for ever.

Sometimes I like to live this philosophy (as is evident in my ill attempted humor on this board). Not too often do I though anymore - mostly it is “been there, done that” kind of thinking for me.

As far as your question. Yours is the question that interests me, too. Why would any atheist give a hoot what others believe? (Unless of course it somehow restricts one’s own liberty or such.)

Let me try to rephrase (change) your own question. How can such “religious” people (and so many) misunderstand their own religion to the extent that it seems occurs? This won’t alleviate your pondering, but it might ease the pain of it.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 PM

Sometimes I think I'm 46 going on 18, but there are days when I feel my age. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have dropped by 2+2 infrequently over the past couple of years, as I have another forum that I prefer for a discussion of poker. However, since discovering Science, Math, and Philosophy a couple of weeks ago, I can't seem to tear myself away. I'm not sure exactly the reason. I guess I just find it fascinating how different people can have such diametrically opposed viewpoints on such a fundamentally important topic. Makes poker seem kind of inconsequential by comparison.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What a waste of the human mind and body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hesitate to get into this again because I feel I've done it to death and get very few informed responses. Since you say you're new, I'll have another go.

If God doesn't exist all human effort is a waste.

Read Ecclesiastes. Read any existentialist. Read the quote I've given a couple times from Bertrand Russell.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 AM

You're just getting old and cranky. Next thing you know you'll be rocking on your porch and yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. Happens to the worst of us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"If God doesn't exist all human effort is a waste. "

Point being? God has to exist because I don't want to think my life is a waste, I assume?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 AM

i'm looking for the part that boggles the mind. this has been the same old stuff (the supposed discussions about whether there is a god) since you didn't lose your head for engaging in it. 'whether there is a god or not' as a topic of discussion ranks right there with which of the yankee teams was 'the greatest team ever'..................b
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're just getting old and cranky. Next thing you know you'll be rocking on your porch and yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. Happens to the worst of us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]