Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Study Habits

I need help. Well it's not that bad yet, but I don't want to continue like this. I'm a third year student who's been slacking every since he entered school. I know a lot of us are like this, but I want to change this so I can improve my marks.

When I hit a rut in my homework (mostly when on labs) I just go browse OOT (and 2+2 in general), check email, and browse an almost endless number of poker and non-poker forums. I've tried to tell myself not only how important it is to pass the course, but to actually learn the material.

I've read countless posts on how important it is to finish school written by many respected posters here who have written something inspirational. It motivates me for about 10 minutes, then I fall back into the rut.

So far, I've cut back on poker by cashing out on stars; a habitual thing for me to do was to logon stars and sit in a good game for an hour. I haven't touched online poker for a few days and it feels good (though I will play a bit on weekends). Unfortunately this has just led to more web-browsing.

So I've read alot on procrastinating and it seems like the only thing that's left for me to do is to suck it up and motivate myself. Is this correct?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Study Habits

i also have the same problem.

btw, I too go to UBC.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:01 AM

Yah...dude you need to buckle down for now.
I just started film school two weeks ago and find that I am having to put poker in the backseat for now. I play mainly on the weekends now unless I have a film shoot...sometimes I play online at work...but then that puts me behind in screenwriting and storyboarding....so keep yourself in action enough not to get too rusty but give your schooling the attention that it needs. You'll thank yourself later. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 05:43 AM

hello fellow ubc student

i hope all goes well for you at filmschool
Old 10-07-2005, 06:05 AM

i know of a really good way to end procrastination, i'll tell you about it some other time though.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:07 AM

Aren't there drugs to help with this? If you find out, let me know 'cause I have the same problem.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there drugs to help with this? If you find out, let me know 'cause I have the same problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes- Adderoll is absolutely amazing for studying. It not only makes you focus but somehow makes you enjoy what you're studying. It's a huge college-student drug, so if you ask around (discreetly) you'll more than likely find it.

(It also works well for long sits at a poker table.)

(Edit: I should probably mention that if you have any sort of heart problem, stay as far away from adderoll as you can get. Also, don't drink on it, or you won't be able to stop drinking. Just trust me on this one.)
Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM

try:
neurostim, deprenyl, pyritnol, piracetam, aniracetam, Acetyl L carnitine, Centrophenoxine (necessary if you are taking piracetam and aniracetam), vinpocetine, hydergine and ginkgo biloba.

Thats a pretty good stack to start with. You might want to add in omega 3 fatty acids and a multivitamin.

I take that stuff and I get in the top 5 grades in my courses at washington university.

Adderall is definitely good too...but I'd be worried about raising blood pressure and heart rate, as well as possibly screwing with your head (small chance of causing schizophrenia).

Obviously if you consider this stuff please look into it first. www.avantlabs.com is a good place to start.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes- Adderoll is absolutely amazing for studying. It not only makes you focus but somehow makes you enjoy what you're studying. It's a huge college-student drug, so if you ask around (discreetly) you'll more than likely find it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this like steroids for studying or something? Why do you need to take drugs to study? Did the universities increase the work load or up'd the difficulty level so much in the 10 years since I left school, that kids these days now have to take some kind of brain steroids? I'm not in this situation, but I can't imagine how it would be worth it to mess with that kind of stuff.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 PM

It's a pharmaceutical drug for ADD or ADHD. They feed little kids this stuff by the bucketfulls nowadays.

And yes- there is a huge load on college age kids nowadays. Many have to work full-time jobs to pay for the school they barely have time for. Also, most scholarships require you to keep a certain (high) GPA. So yea, theres a lot to deal with.