Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Discuss options on turn please

Unknown Villain

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players

Edit: I should mention that UTG was horrible..playing every hand. Villain had not been doing so in his 1 orbit at the table. However, if he knows this about UTG or not orwould do something about it if he did know is unknown to me.
\
Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Discuss options on turn please

I'd fold preflop. I think you have to bet the turn. You're usually still ahead, he could fold a bigger pocket pair and he's often going to have 9 outs that you need to protect against and really want him to fold.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM

It would appear the co has some overcards here, most likely the ace. We could bet, call the raise and fold the river UI. Check, but then he may check behind some undercards like K J. That would suck. A bet allows us to win immediately if he has undercards, if raised, we call and draw. If called, I'd probably just check call the river, as I don't see him calling with anything we would beat.

So, I would bet the turn.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Oh yea, I'd need a lot more limpers preflop to call as well. Good point evan.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yea, I'd need a lot more limpers preflop to call as well. Good point evan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd call with one more limper.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

suited, semi-connected i would call. i would probably bet that turn as a 4 flush with a pair is a fairly robust holding, even with only one to come. a check/call and c/r if improved line may work well also. it would depend on the opponents turn/river aggression as to which line i may take.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Nothing wrong with leading out here. He could be concerned about you having a 9 and might just fold right there.

If he does have an Ace, he probably will stick around. You still have 2 outs to fill up and 8 more to make a flush, so you can still call if he does happen to raise you.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suited, semi-connected i would call. i would probably bet that turn as a 4 flush with a pair is a fairly robust holding, even with only one to come. a check/call and c/r if improved line may work well also. it would depend on the opponents turn/river aggression as to which line i may take.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about just c/ring right now?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 PM

I think you have to bet the turn. That leads to a few scenarios.

Scenario 1 - he calls. He either has a pair (possibly Aces) and is resigning himself to calling down or he is on some type of draw (overcards to yours, flush). Either way, the river probably plays the same. You have to check because if he is resigned to calling you down, it is with those pair hands. If he is on a draw and wiffs, he won't call your bet out. Perhaps you get a bet from him on a bluff if you check-call.

Scenario 2(a) - Villain raises. He may be using the scare card against you. You can 3 bet with your flush draw + 2 full house outs. If he has no pair, and is betting the scare card, he is still not drawing that thin. He has 6 outs for his two pair, plus 3 aces. 9 outs. Enough to not want to give him a free card.

Scenario 2(b) - Villain raises. He may have the ace or some overpair to your hand. If he is gutsy/good enough to raise with an ace/overpair, he may be good enough to lay down to a 3 bet. In addition, you currently have those redraws, so I think a 3 bet might be worth it. (Sidenote: I thought about these choices as options but I am fairly confident that I am not a good enough player to make them)
Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 PM

Your options are close if we assume that there is no chance of this checking through.

I think you should be betting hoping for a fold. It is how you play the river that will really effect how much you make in this hand.

As long as if you bet and are raised, that you plan on check folding the river, everything seems close.

However, if you can't bring your self to check fold the river, then check calling seems to become a better option.

But I really think you will make your money from the times he folds here and I think you should be betting.