Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: That not so fresh feeling

Check the flop. This flop is so scary to your opponent b/c he almost certainly has KK, QQ, or JJ. There is no harm in giving a free card and if you bet, his only move is to fold. Even if he doesn't know you have AA, he's gotta put you on AK, AQ or such.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: That not so fresh feeling

I think its it's almost always correct to smooth call the 3-bet when you're heads-up with AA or KK. Its just when you raise first in MP like this your hand range is still pretty large, but when you cap it goes way down. You're such a heavy favourite and it's usually easy to make up that lost bet with a flop or turn CR.

Give the way you played it, I actually think that a flop check might be best (i was initially in the bet camp, but after thinking a bit I changed my mind). Sure, it'll send up red flags, but what's the alternative? After you cap PF and bet out on this flop, villain is going to have a really hard time calling w/o a T or A, and its not likely that he has either (since there's only once A left, and the only T he's likely 3-betting with is TT). I might even check again on the turn if he checks behind on the flop.

I think after you cap PF and flop this poorly-hidden monster, its just tough to make a whole lot of money. If he's got a big hand or absolutely nothing, you'll likely get the same amount from him by either betting or checking; if his hand is borderline you likely make a little more by slowplaying, and on the off-chance that he makes a big hand on the turn/river (set or straight), you will likely make a lot more by slowplaying (if he would have folded).

I'm too long winded, how about: call the 3-bet PR, since you didn't, probably check flop, but its close.