Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: New to smoking, a few q\'s

[ QUOTE ]

As a longtime cigarette smoker (more than half of my 30 years) I would not recommend taking it up in any way to any one. And I enjoy the hell out of smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Sure, it's probably possible to maintain status as a casual smoker, but how many addicts started with this intention? Its a serious question, while I don't have the answer, I'm sure that most if not all nicotine addicts didn't start with the intention of becoming addicted.

I've quit smoking more times than I can count, sometimes for years. It's been almost 18 months since I've had a cigarette and there is no way I will allow myself to enjoy even one cigarette (sadly, probably not a cigar [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] either) ever again. I know that if I have one cigarette, I'll probably smoke another one in a week or so then another in a couple of days, then 2 one day and none for 3 more, then I'll just smoke one a day for a week and then I'm done; I'll smoke 10-20 cigs a day for several months before quitting again and shorten my life by that amount.

If you've ever been addicted to cigarettes then you know it goes about like that, if you haven't you may think I'm crazy or weak. Either way, my advice is the same. Don't start! there are much better ways to get a buzz, try one of those. Hell, smoke a joint if you want the buzz. It tastes better anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM

I've been smoking now for about 5 years. Usually camel lights or malboro lights. I'd estimate I have smoked on average less than one pack per month in that time, but I could be way off. I am not addicted, and I think the key to this is to always be aware of the dangers of addiction, and frequently take time off, some number of weeks, where you don't smoke ANY, partly to prove to yourself that you aren't addicted.

No matter how rarely you smoke, the "buzz" will always be diminishing, there's no avoiding it.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 PM

It might not be your style, but for casual smoking, hookahs can be really nice. Setup is easy, but takes long enough so that it would be really inconvenient to do it all the time. Pick up a jar of flavored tobacco for $5 and you're set for a few months.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Go light up a J and get back to us.. cigs are disgusting
Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Chesterfields or anything else without that damn filter (If you can roll your own, just get a tobacco pouch). This works well for three reasons: 1) you get a stronger buzz 2) you look cool rolling yours own cigs and 3)most importantly, you are speeding up your appointment with death by a good 10-15 years which will leave more money in social security for the rest of us.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM

You can get the same buzz just by breathing into a paper bag for 30 seconds. Save your money and jut buy more paper bags.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Does anyone out there think captzeebo is bruiser's gimmick account?

I mean seriously, they are way too similar.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't anyone casually or socially smoke? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. Every time I drink I feel like smoking. But I don't do it that often because my wife hates it.

She's been out of town for 3 weeks; needless to say I've smoked it up a bit.

But yeah, I have no desire to smoke unless I've been drinking. Guess I'm lucky.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 PM

wacky tobaccy. and not even close buzz-wise.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Switch to alcohol, or make up for the lack of smokes by drinking more. Your body will thank you.