Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: PP 10/20 Flopped Set, Too much action?

Thanks for the advice. Although I dont appreciate the stupid/retard comments. I know this hand was poorly played, as I don't post the ones I know I played well.

I don't see how people have objections to limping 22 after a limper. No limper, I fold this. But if there is another limper it seems easy to get odds as limping encourages limping.

I was planning to raise the turn, but the action on the flop scared the chit out of me. Either one of them could have held JJ/77/J7. I figured they both couldn't be betting clubs, and one of em was gripping one of those 3 hands.

Putting them on these hands is the reason I didnt raise the turn, as JJ/77 come back over me.

General consensious seems to be these fears where unfounded. Am I the only one who gets scared on that flop action? If so, it won't happen again.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Is Stacysmom a he?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Well, look at it from their perspective.

Most people probably call a 3bet/raise and attempt to trap the third player in between with a checkraise on the turn with top set.

Most people _do_ play an overpair,or TPTK fast on the flop and slow down on the turn.

The only action you should fear with a set (when no flush or straights are out yet), is heavy action you'll get on the turn, but even then, you're as likely to be getting 3bet by top two as you are with an overset (and occasionally an overpair), making a cap more than reasonable even with bottom set. The thing about capping (unlikely 3betting) is that you're not vulnerable to a 5-bet, so you dont have to use the same mentality as 3betting a river, say. In cases where you can be reraised by stronger hands, it's a win 1, lose 2 situation. Capping a turn is win 1, lose 1 situation.

Retard is my term of endearment. Well, maybe not. But i call everyone a retard when they do something i disagree with, so you shouldnt be offended.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:50 PM

fold preflop unless the table is loose and passive. Rather unlikely Party 10/20 (it does happen tho). I can see UTG with 77 here but he could have AA,KK limped preflop. Set over set is not that unusual, but it is usually horrible on the stack. (unless you have the higher set, natch, which with 22 you never can have). Call the river.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how people have objections to limping 22 after a limper. No limper, I fold this. But if there is another limper it seems easy to get odds as limping encourages limping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I limp with all pairs after one limper every time in this game. I filtered in PT on Pairs, Not a Blind, and Limped with PC, and I do show a small loss with 22. However, on looking at the hands, I see I only flopped one set in 35 tries. Only in seven of the hands was it raised behind me. Obviously if I flop four sets as expected, instead of just one, I would be doing much better with this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I was planning to raise the turn, but the action on the flop scared the chit out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't sweat this flop action at all unless it came from passive players. There will be plenty of pumping draws, protecting top pairs, and just plain attempts to run over people going on here.

The first flop call is OK. Pot is small, two others left to act who might peel with very little, and the draws will still be around to pay for them when you raise the turn. But once it's raised and re-raised, it's time to wake up. Not having done that, definitely raise the turn. Don't worry about them coming back over you until they actually do it.

On the river I still think you're ahead most of the time, just call here. It's much easier for BB to have one J with a high kicker (or even suited with a deuce - Edit: Oops, ignore this, three of the deuces are out too) than to have JJ or J7. And it's much easier for UTG to have just the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with a high or connecting club than to have both 7s.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM

hey flawless, what is your problem?

is everything you say negative?

if you dont like the post, dont reply.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I limp with all pairs after one limper every time in this game. I filtered in PT on Pairs, Not a Blind, and Limped with PC, and I do show a small loss with 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same filter and I come out from 56 times, 7 times flopped a set, of those 7 times won 5 and lost 2. The two I lost were to a straight and flush respectively. Of the rest I won unimproved but once, otherwise I'm usually folded at the flop. Overall I have 22 as a loser, I play it pretty tight these days.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM

BB has AJo and UTG has A7 clubs, take it down!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Stacysmom a he?

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as pokerjo.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM

I would have raised the flop. You still need to protect bottom set on a 2-flush board. Do u want a lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to get a redraw on the turn? Or T9 to hit there gutshot? Then, I reevaluate based on the action after my raise. I might call a 3-bet and raise turn, or cap, or call the cap. You need to raise the turn, why do u fear monsters when loose players are betting in this inherently aggressive game? On the river, you need to call. I can see a loose UTG bluff raising on the paired board a dubious holding, even a busted FD.