Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: School Privatization

I'm not even going to get into most of the stuff you said, but onto education.

Ireland, The Netherlands, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Sweden, and several other countries have school choice programs. In some of those countries government funded private schools make up a large part of education resources. In other cases it is a competition between public run schools. Are we to believe that only American parents are too stupid to educate thier own children, and that parents of these countries are more intelligent and can therefore be trusted to do the right thing? And by what measure do we determine this?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without government enforced speed limits, a libertarian might argue, an "equilibrium" speed limit would be found. We all know, of course, that this line of reasoning is bogus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's bogus. The owner of the road has the right to set terms of its use. The libertarian would argue that the government shouldn't be in the road-owning business.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If education is the first step to communism, is the first step to capitalism ignorance?

[/ QUOTE ]

public education. Nice try.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but as soon as you introduced...rampant feminism, you quickly became a glorified version of Marx's original dream

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, I wonder why I read this board at all. And then a gem like this comes along.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Ok, so please give me a coherent argument why public education is the first step towards communism.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
psst, I'm Swedish.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies...I guess I should have written it in the 3rd person then. I'm also sobering up so maybe my hysteria level will subside as well...

Education does not lead to communism unless it's mandatory and run by a central authority IMO.

A capitalist's idea of education is everyone educates their kids according to standards and values that they themselves choose, paying whatever price the market assigns to his choice. If the choice is no formal education then so be it. If the choice is something not currently on offer, he would be free to hire teachers himself, teach his kids whatever he felt necessary and that would be that.

Ignorance does not lead to success under any system IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A capitalist's idea of education is everyone educates their kids according to standards and values that they themselves choose, paying whatever price the market assigns to his choice. If the choice is no formal education then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reads like a recipe to creating a caste system.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You Americans think you are free and that you have capitalism at the moment, but as soon as you introduced progressive taxation, equal rights laws for minorities and homosexuals, and rampant feminism, you quickly became a glorified version of Marx's original dream but with more money and toys to play with while you unwittingly give up your priniciples and true aspirations in obedient
submission.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wolf's sharp teeth gleamed from beneath his fleece as he licked his lips, MMMMMM I think I'll have lamb tonight, he muttered.

You should be proud of your Nazi roots.

Yuck Mack
Old 09-14-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My apologies

[/ QUOTE ]
No worries [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
A capitalist's idea of education is everyone educates their kids according to standards and values that they themselves choose

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno. Why is it necessarily a capitalist idea that a kid who has the misfortune of being born by the wrong parents or whatnot must suffer the consequences and not get a good education? Is the child the property of the parents or does society as a whole have reasons to make sure each child gets a reasonable education?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:40 AM

I suppose that could be one of the outcomes but I think you'd get a pretty nice price on it from a bookmaker.