Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Question for Libertarians

Something I've always wondered but never seen answered. I know that libertarians think highways and major roads should be built with toll money or some other user-pays system. But what about local streets that run in front of all our houses. Would their existence be based on tolls? What if you neighbor doesn't agree to pay a toll. Do you have a little fifty foot stretch of road that goes nowhere?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Question for Libertarians

I consider myself a libraterian, and I still see a role for government in transportation. It really depends who you talk to.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:32 PM

I agree with Lehigh. Libertarians are not anarchists, and certainly see a role for the government. Pooling our funds to make public roads is, perhaps, one tax I would be in favor of...not to say I have a problem with toll roads(I drive one everyday, and it's much faster, cleaner, and nicer than the public one).

Regarding the problem you present...I doubt that you'd have everyone owning the little section of road in front of their house. Most likely, you'd see a new type of company emerge: road management firms...and my guess would be they'd work like the power company, the water company, and so forth.

I dunno, though...lots of problems to get around with that one. I think the free public roads are actually a decent use for government.

Free public schools, however, are not...but that's another thread.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:48 PM

There were some countries in Asia that do that. You have a special liscence plate determining which roads you can drive on, and they fine you if they catch you doing the wrong thing.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM

Default User Taxes

There should be a role for user taxes, where you can identify the people who use the services and how much/often they use it. Roads can be paid for with fuel taxes -- the more fuel a person consumes, the more they use the roads, the more they pay.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something I've always wondered but never seen answered. I know that libertarians think highways and major roads should be built with toll money or some other user-pays system. But what about local streets that run in front of all our houses. Would their existence be based on tolls? What if you neighbor doesn't agree to pay a toll. Do you have a little fifty foot stretch of road that goes nowhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my POV the Federal Government is within its rights to build an interstate highway system. Mainly under the guise of regulation of interstate commerce. However, I think that most roads should be built and run by the state or by a private company under the employ of a state. Of course I also think that the individual localities should do the same as the states. Now, there is a problem that arises here, one similar to that of the problems the railroads had with gauging. There should be some standard developed on the Federal level with regards to what basic qualities a road should have. Individual states should also adopt similar regulations demanding that the localities follow their state guidlines.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: User Taxes

I'd be willing to listen to this argument. But it seems to go against a lot of current discussions here. If I have a big car I won't use the roads more than the guy with the small car, but I'll still pay more taxes for it?

Remember, I might agree with you here, but do you really agree with you?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to listen to this argument. But it seems to go against a lot of current discussions here. If I have a big car I won't use the roads more than the guy with the small car, but I'll still pay more taxes for it?

Remember, I might agree with you here, but do you really agree with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The extra tax that the big car user pays can be justified because of the added pollution his car creates. Libertarians are generally anti-pollution, because pollution is an invasion of the rights of those who breathe it. Forcing polluters to pay tax because of the pollution they create is justifiable in a libertarian viewpoint.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a big car I won't use the roads more than the guy with the small car, but I'll still pay more taxes for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
A big car damages the roads more. Tractor trailers get 3MPG, and damage the road a lot. Motorcycles get 50MPG and damages the road little. It works out.

I'm not necessarily saying it should be run by the government. We have information highways that have been built with private funds and some oversight. The Internet and peering agreements would be a good model to use in highways -- in this case all roads are private, but if you want to connect your road to my road -- you have to agree to maintain some standards, etc. -- if you can use my road then I can use your road. The final reality being that a road which is not connected to all other roads is pretty useless, so everyone agrees. This way you can have a lot of private roads (the same as you have in gated communities), but everyone has access. As long as you are paying for the maintenance and upkeep on your street, you can use all roads.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 AM

As I said, I might agree. But now you put pollution into the mix as well, so how do you know how much of the car tax-money that should go to pollution prevention and how much to roads?