Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Mad? Write to Congress

I think I proved my point, thank you! Just read his reponces. If i agree with him I have hope, but if I dissagree with him, again I have no nope. Clearly his measure of knowledge is if someone agrees with him.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else see the irony in Republicans being mad that the FEDERAL government didn't immediately take over a state issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, there is a difference between Republican and Federalist. Republilcans are not always for state's rights - it depends on the issue.

Seecond, it was a national disaster. Why are some people calling this a state issue? Do you not realize how important the New Orleans port is to the national economy? Ddo you not realize that the displaced persons cannot all just stay within the state of LA? Ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, there is a difference between Republican and Federalist. Republilcans are not always for state's rights - it depends on the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
States' rights is fairly important to most Republicans, so I made a generalization.

[ QUOTE ]
Seecond, it was a national disaster. Why are some people calling this a state issue?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hurricane preparedness is state issue. Disaster relief is where the feds come in after the state first responders have responded. The initial response belongs to the state, yet some think that this should have been the duty of the federal government. This isn't how it's supposed to work nor should it be.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Why Congress ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Congress is there to legislate. If you want to ask for some special legislation or for tax relief for the afflicted citizens, then that's the right thing to do.

But if you wanna complain about action and specifically the lack of action beforehand, then the executive branch should be the target of complaints - or at least inquiries.

That's the President, the Governor, the Mayor - along with the responsible agencies, on a local, state or federal level. Irrespective of party or color of skin.

God knows, Congress has a lot to answer for, but asking Congress to take blame for inaction or bad planning on Katrina is blaming the wrong people.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Why Congress ?

Congress was on a recess and they needed to meet to sign that bill that gave $10+ billion dollars to relief efforts.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Why Congress ?

Congress.org is an easy tool to send messages to all your representative, not just Congress. Check it out. If you want to write to the Pres, you can do it there at the same time as you write to your local county commissioner and your Senator... It's just a cool resource. Use whatever you want. Write to whomever you want.

My point was, take some action - any action.
Donate blood, money, volunteer time.
Write letters to Congress, to the Pres, open letters sent to News papers... whatever, just get involved!