Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Too aggressive on BB Def? (PP 15)

Blind defense is one of the areas I feel least confident in, so here goes one.

Villan is 60/15/1.5 after 120 hands.

I am confident the 3 bet PF is correct. I decided to semibluff raise the flop. I felt the stop and go meant he hit the flop or was takeing a shot at me. I figured a raise gives me a good shot at taking the pot right there, or possible buyin some free cards. When he just calls the flop raise and doesnt lead the turn, I put him off an A. I bet the turn cause his check showed weakness, I thoght I might still be ahead or have fold equity vs 99-77. After the turn call I believe it is a clear check behind on the river.

What ya think?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 08-01-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Too aggressive on BB Def? (PP 15)

[ QUOTE ]

What ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Misguided. I can find a call down against very aggressive opponents, but I would not depend on "semi"-bluff equity at all. Your opponent is not folding any hand that you beat(including 77-99).
Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am confident the 3 bet PF is correct. I decided to semibluff raise the flop. I felt the stop and go meant he hit the flop or was takeing a shot at me. I figured a raise gives me a good shot at taking the pot right there, or possible buyin some free cards. When he just calls the flop raise and doesnt lead the turn, I put him off an A. I bet the turn cause his check showed weakness, I thoght I might still be ahead or have fold equity vs 99-77. After the turn call I believe it is a clear check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

= no. But its a nice fantasy. Free card, yes. Pot...no.

I like preflop though. postflop villian is not folding 77-99 or a loose K or A. I understand what you are trying to do, but its not going to work here (I guess i should say, its not going to work often enough to be worth it).
Old 08-01-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to semibluff raise the flop. I felt the stop and go meant he hit the flop or was takeing a shot at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitpick:

Your flop raise does not really meet the standard definition of a semi-bluff. If you are behind here you basically have no chance of improving.

So you felt the stop and go meant either he hit the flop, or he didn't hit the flop?

If I raise on the flop here, it is because I think that the SB steals a lot with crappy cards, so he'll give up immediately w/o an A or K on this flop. Usually if my raise gets called, I am not putting any more money in this pot UI, even on the river.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM

I know its not really a semibluff. What would you call it? Feller raise? I was pretty tired and that was the term that popped in my head [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

And with his stats I figure he'll steal with any 2. If he missed the flop, and calls the raise, he will surely bet the river with or w/o improvement after i check behind on the flop.

So what line toule u take post flop?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:09 PM

Is this guy a habitual bluffer? If so, you might want to just call him down. But raising the flop makes no sense to me because this guy will never fold a better hand, and your hand isn't anywhere close to being strong enough to raise for value.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 PM

Preflop raise is right, but I don't like your line at all after that. I think you should really be folding to his flop bet here. He could easily have Ax, Kx, 7s-9s there. Even if he has nothing at all, calling down is better than raising because when you're ahead he may bluff that board. When you're behind (say a king or jack) and you raise, he'll call down fearing the ace so you're out a SB more than you would've just calling down. In my opinion though, when you raise the flop and he calls you're dead in the water. You aren't blowing him off any hand he has so I'm not putting any more bets into the pot after this point. Especially once that jack hits because hands like q/j and j/10 who will bluff that flop just got there against your hand. I'd check the turn and fold the river unimproved if he bets.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 PM

Hmm, I think preflop is good, and I don't know about the flop. If your opponent is pretty predictable, meaning his raise is probably relatively legitimate (his understanding of position and steal raises being limited) and he goes to showdown too often in general (which is not necessarily as bad a mistake heads up), then you might just give up on the flop.

However, his bet looks like either a king or weak ace (I think he'd checkraise something better), a PP, or a broadway gutshot. You can beat some of those hands, and I think you want to raise the flop (planning to fold to a 3-bet).

But when the J comes on the turn, you're not beating much. I think my turn plan is to check behind no matter what, with the intention of calling a bet on the river if the turn and river are both non T,J,Q. (This is provided you don't improve, of course.)

As soon as the third broadway card hits the turn, I think you can check, with the intention of folding the river unless you spike a 6.

But I admit that I am lost on these hands as well. This is a good hand to post, and I hope I at least contributed something to think about, even though I don't really know how to play this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your opponent is not folding any hand that you beat(including 77-99).

[/ QUOTE ]
But he could certainly fold a six outer. I can see him raising preflop with 79s, getting three-bet and then firing one barrel on this flop and giving up once he gets raised.