Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Internet-poker-playing world traveller

I, like MicroBob (whose cat almost ate me just now), am considering the wimpy high COL version of this idea. I have someone renting out the other room in my condo til March, after which I can put it on the market or rent it out.

My plan currently involves traveling to where contacts/friends are- Honolulu, a couple options in Australia, and Christchurch. Big thanks to the guy that mentioned the "world travel" airline ticket, I will look into that.

If that goes well, I may move to one of those locations, or I may try a more adventurous $1-a-day-in-Laos kind of trek.

Regardless, I've found in the past that when I travel I have a hard time getting myself to put in the hours playing. So we'll see how it goes.

Good luck to you!

2nd
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know most places have internet access, but the places I'd most like to play in surely wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we are of the same mind-set. I want to go to off-the-beaten-path places, deserted beaches, visit a Buddist temples high up some mountain, or some mayan ruins deep in a jungle.

My wife wants to go to someplace where they have Costco. She wants touristy, and safety... as if every country in southeast Asia has roaming baby-stealing fundamentalist bandits. My response: "Yeah, let's go somewhere where there's lots of white people who speak English and eat at McDonalds."
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM

Looks like a lot of you good folks are catching on to the travel potential related to internet poker. I was actually scheduled to hit the road this month, but things are being postponed and my lease is now renewed for another 9 months. Just some legal issues I need to take care of in my life before I can cut all my ties (Nothin' sketchy folks). But yeah, I'm 23 and have no kids, girlfriend, or school to attend to (not that these aren't eventual goals in my life) and I'm ready to flee. I've spent a year in western Europe wandering around and though I'd like to go back sometime, I'm leaning towards something a little different. My current gameplan is renting a high speed internet ready flat in Buenos Aires (plenty of good rental web sites to choose from). For about $450/m I get a very nice furnished room with utilities and internet included. If I want to go cheaper once I become familiar with the area, I'm sure there's potential for that. Argentina has the best internet capabilities of any S. American country and I'm really committed to improving my Spanish and learning Tango. Buenos Aires might be a little too "big city" for my travel tastes, but the nature of playing poker requires this to an extent. If I discover I am capable of hopping around a little more, this is an excellent starting point. I do like to get to know an area though and would probably stay at least 3 months before moving on.

I figure I'll invest in a laptop and maybe bring my 2001FP along as well. I can't imagine working without it these days. As far as Wi-Fi capability goes, Argentina has numerous hotspots (and I believe Wi Fi is the same everywhere, so if you're good in the US...). The security of an apartment connection combined with the capability to explore a little with Wi Fi potential should sustain my travel needs to the Max. I even scoped out some beach locations with Wi Fi access though I'm a bit paranoid as to the salty air's effects on my laptop. I know it can wreak havoc on a digital camera from first hand experience.

From what I know and have heard from others, Thailand is an excellent destination for internet capabilities and is damn cheap. Plenty of other perks as well. But I'm hell bent towards latin flair...so I know where I'll be going if I ever go through with this stuff. Also, when I made my prior post, thinking I was heading off in July/August...there were a number of fellow 2+2'ers who were potentially interested in making the journey with me. You might consider asking around when your plans are more concrete if you desire a roomate/travel buddy. Anyone is welcome to get in touch with me as well, and we can tentively come up with a plan if things work out. I also think Costa Rica to be an excellent option. And as far as language barriers go...Bah!!! That's part of the adventure. Invest in some used Pimsleur cd's off Ebay and just re-auction them when you're done. Learn something new. Cheers all, happy travels.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 PM

some have mentioned the potential dangers of playing in thailand because gambling is illegal there. but others seemed to indicate that it's really not THAT much to be concerned about.

just an FYI about Thailand..but I am just repeating info that others have given...I know nothing about it.

argentina sounds pretty nice to me too.
Read an article about Buenos Aries in one of those airline travel magazines.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:09 PM

Well... I have done this for 2 months and loved it. Only problem was it was a paid in the a$$ playing poker in those internet cafes. Now my roomate does this full time and is establishing a bank roll. We are always talking about just picking up and moving out, at least for a year and a half because i would want to take advantage of the 80K tax break.

But here is the question. What is the best and cheapest satellite internet provider?(don't know how to spell this)
Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 PM

actually I spend about 2 months in Buenos Aires. First of all, the city is VERY VERY cheap. The dollar goes very far. What is kinda ironic is that if you go to Brasil, the conditions are worse and more expensive. And if you go to Chile whose conditions are on par with buenos aires you'll be spending a fortune.

Something to note about the people from Buenos Aires. You will find the best looking women in the world. That is not my opinion it is just fact. All the women in Buenos Aires are ALL dressed up. You want find many overweight or manly. Also, you said that you are interested in learning spanish. The spanish from buenos aires has got to the be the best sounding spanish around. And when las chicas de buenos aires speak it...it's sure sexy.

But if you are planning on going down there give me a buzz.

Buenos Aires is a great city
Old 07-29-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christchurch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you like the cold.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:12 AM

Read about George who travels around in his motorhome with Internet access.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html (sorry, I don't know how to link)

May not be Asia but he does have access to Costco.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:27 AM

i'm going to italy in september for this kind of deal
Old 07-30-2005, 02:04 AM

I am going to try to do this sort of thing along the EPT route this year if it is conveinant.