Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Overplayed Blind Defense?

Villian here is the table LAG. 43/25/3. Surprisingly this was the first hand of any consequence I played against him.

Did I overplay this hand? I feel like on the c/r flop with bottom pair might be a bit much.

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333"> LAG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, LAG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LAG calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, LAG checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Overplayed Blind Defense?

Not overdoing it. It puts you in control of the hand even though you're OOP.

Methinks this is the correct line.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM

This is a great time to c/r the flop. It's a raggedy board that misses most hands a LAG would raise. I'm assuming you're check/calling the river, so I'd play it the same (though if I'm playing well and have a read I just might find a value bet vs. A-high on the river).
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM

This does look good, but what do we do if he 3-bets us?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This does look good, but what do we do if he 3-bets us?

[/ QUOTE ]

That falls under the lovely "it depends" category, though in this case it might be a bit more straight forward depending on the type of LAG he is. He can't 3-bet here with overs hoping for a free river because of the K, so a 3-bet either means a draw, K, or AA (unless the guy is maniacal which could be a possibility based on his stats). The only draws are straights with the 7/5, so that seems unlikely.

The truth is I think we're ahead here a far majority of the time. A LAG with a PFR of 25% in a 4-handed game has a huge range of hands from the CO, with only a small minority being a Kx or AA. Due to this range, I'd be more inclined to call down a 3-bet to showdown, vs. a more standard player I could fold to a river bet.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That falls under the lovely "it depends" category, though in this case it might be a bit more straight forward depending on the type of LAG he is. He can't 3-bet here with overs hoping for a free river because of the K, so a 3-bet either means a draw, K, or AA (unless the guy is maniacal which could be a possibility based on his stats). The only draws are straights with the 7/5, so that seems unlikely.

The truth is I think we're ahead here a far majority of the time. A LAG with a PFR of 25% in a 4-handed game has a huge range of hands from the CO, with only a small minority being a Kx or AA. Due to this range, I'd be more inclined to call down a 3-bet to showdown, vs. a more standard player I could fold to a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would want to call this down to showdown if the villian 3 bets on the flop. The only thing we can beat is A high or worse. I didn't think this guy was a total maniac so I'm pretty sure if he 3 bet it would be with a hand better than mine. Given that, if 3 bet here I was planning to call and check/fold the turn UI. I'd take this line unless I had a read that my opponent was a total maniac, or seriously on tilt.

By the way, villian shows AQ and takes the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]