Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: I play like Gus Hansen, how come I never win?

[ QUOTE ]
I hate Gus Hansen's style of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. There are very few things as good for my micro-limit bankroll as playing ring-game opponents who think they should raise with a particular hand because they saw Gus Hansen do it once on TV.

I suppose that someday a "professional poker player/do not attempt" disclaimer will be added on TV coverage, but until then...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 AM

hmmm, is that sarcasm i sense? ouch.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:07 AM

That's interesting in a way. Most of his wins on TV are the direct result of bad beats. He was a huge underdog going in managed to draw out on his opponents. The funny part is that drawing out as an underdog is obviously unlikely and since it happend so often, people think that there must be some sort of skill behind it. I can guarantee you that if you go all-in with A-5 against A
Old 06-21-2005, 05:13 AM

This is funny. I just watched the WPT Battle of Champions DVD last night. Gus Hanson was the 1st one knocked out. Some baby huey w/ wrap arounds look-alike raises in ep. with A9s.
Everyone folds to Gus who's moves all in with KQs. Huey calls. The flop comes A,Q,X. Gus is sent on a plane back to Transilvainia (is that where he's from?) when he fails to improve.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:44 AM

There is justice in poker! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 AM

Hmm, that posting got scrambled somehow.

Anyways, I try to reconstruct it....
---------------------------------

That's interesting in a way. Most of his wins on TV are the direct result of bad beats. He was a huge underdog going in managed to draw out on his opponents. The funny part is that drawing out as an underdog is obviously unlikely and since it happend so often, people think that there must be some sort of skill behind it. I can guarantee you that if you go all-in with A-5 against A-9 and win, there was no skill involved at all. You just got lucky and if you can manage to do it back to back, you simply got very lucky.

Getting to the position where you can play for 1 million is where the skill comes in.

At first I thought he was playing Super System all the way, but now I am not so sure anymore.

What he does is pick random hands and act first with them. That usually makes all the weak hands fold. So he has to deal with above average hands. The other guys have a dilemma also. Since Gus could hold virtually anything they are facing a decision when to make a stand. It is similar to having to call an all-in if your opponent did not look at his cards. Would you do it with Q-7 or K-10? Of course you would like a pair, but unfortunately that won't happen every single time. By playing like that Gus forces his opponents to lower their hand selection and to play hands that they aren't used to play a lot.

In my opinion his game is based on psychology and game theory. It is some sort of system that doesn't even take lots of courage on his part. He simply follows his system and looks what happens. It is not always easy for him, that's why he makes these faces a lot.

Now what do you do if you got such a guy on your table?

Call him down?
Reraise him?
Fold?

The answer is difficult, since Gus is running a mixed strategy. As soon as he recognizes a pattern in your play, he will adjust to it. It is as simple as rock/paper/scissors and one guy playing scissors all the time. Sooner or later you'll get him with rocks for all of his chips.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM

I've been wondering for quite some time where all these people learn to play poker. I guess they watch gus hansen too.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 PM

If you're referring to Poker Superstars, yes, he did pot a number of beats on people, but the only one where he was a significant underdog (I believe) was the one against Barry Greenstein where Barry had him dominated. The rest he was just slightly the underdog.

Some observations:

- Despite being a slight underdog, it was probably +EV for him to gamble because of the pot odds he was getting. That is, calling as a slight underdog probably had a better EV than folding.

- Gus was playing against the absolute best players in the world, players who have gotten the best of him in cash games. Obviously he would want to counter this by maximizing his volatility and making them gamble whenever possible.

- Gus's aggressiveness leads to a number of blind steals (which we don't see, because we're on TV.) In short, he's stealing so many antes that he can afford to occasionally take the worst of it. All we see are the trash hands that he gets called on and gets a big flop, we never see the trash hands that don't get called.

- Gus's aggressiveness gets people to overplay their hands against him. Howard Lederer pushed all in with an A9o after Gus opened a pot, Gus called with AQ and busted him. Doyle made a massive checkraise with pocket queens (a huge overbet of the pot) and got called by Gus's pocket aces. Doyle even said later he wouldn't have done that against anyone but Gus.

I think if you work out the math, Gus was never worse than a 2-1 underdog, and in spots where he was "taking the worst of it" he was frequently something like a 45-55% underdog, but he knew the math and called anyway in a spot where most would have folded. He's just unconventional, and people don't like that for whatever reason.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:43 AM

I was referring to the WPT tournaments, where he pulled off a couple of stunts. What shocked me most was the one at Foxwoods where he beat Hoyt Corkins.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM

this is a joke...rite?