Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 06:28 AM

Default I play like Gus Hansen, how come I never win?

Gus Hansen is my idol! I saw him break so many people at WPT finals with absolutely nothing, drawing out on them on the river. I love to watch his comeback against Hoyt in Foxwoods and of course I tried to copy that style of play.

My hand selection is simple: I play all hands, except pocket aces. I have seen Gus crack so many aces, that I don't want to risk getting busted with them. My favorite play is to raise with 7-2o from first position. If I get called by 2-3 players I reraise and put them all in. In contrast to Gus Hansen I never flop 7-2-2 though and I never draw out on people when I am actually a 15-1 underdog. How come he wins millions of dollars while I bust out on my very first hand every single tournament?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: I play like Gus Hansen, how come I never win?

come play with me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Sure, I raise! Are you going to call?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Okay, listen. This is the Beginner's Forum. It's really rude to troll here. If you want to play around with confusing and bogus information or just bust some pro's chops, go do it in the WPT/Televised Forum, they dig that kind of thing.

Regards,

T
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gus Hansen is my idol! I saw him break so many people at WPT finals with absolutely nothing, drawing out on them on the river. I love to watch his comeback against Hoyt in Foxwoods and of course I tried to copy that style of play.

My hand selection is simple: I play all hands, except pocket aces. I have seen Gus crack so many aces, that I don't want to risk getting busted with them. My favorite play is to raise with 7-2o from first position. If I get called by 2-3 players I reraise and put them all in. In contrast to Gus Hansen I never flop 7-2-2 though and I never draw out on people when I am actually a 15-1 underdog. How come he wins millions of dollars while I bust out on my very first hand every single tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to shave your head and make funny faces when you raise, otherwise it doesn't work.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the Beginner's Forum. It's really rude to troll here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I admit to laughing at the post, he's right -- the chances of some beginner seeing this and thinking it's serious are pretty decent. Generally I'm all for satire without any obligation to mark it with smilies or "snark tags" (<snark&gt, but this probably isn't the place.

To the OP: Of course, the answer is you never win because you're playing too low, and those small-buyin tournies are unbeatable. Enter a big one where "people will respect your raise" and then you can win like that.

</satire>
Old 06-20-2005, 01:07 PM

No sense of humor [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Actually I thought this fits quite well to a beginners forum, because what should a beginner think of all the advice given to him when he can watch a guy on TV who violates every single rule and gets away with it?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM

I actually have a great sense of humor. Really. I swear.

Your point is good, and had you gone on to make it in your original post, I wouldn't have complained.

Regards,

T
Old 06-20-2005, 11:22 PM

I hate Gus Hansen's style of play. It makes me mad just watching it, even thinking about him. On a second note, if you are going to emulate a professional as a beginner, I would try Howard Lederer.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:31 AM

Yeah I know, that a guy could dare to do things differently... and be successful!? The man must be punished.