Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 04-27-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Hesitating on the river bet--Online tell?

In the past two days I've picked up a couple of pots that I was intending to fold on the river against a single opponent who had been betting all the way. Both times the bettor was firing right out but when the river came they hesitated for 4 or 5 seconds.

The first time I actually had the fold box checked but when they hesitated I unchecked it and called. Is this an actual online tell that anybody has used or did I just get lucky here?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Hesitating on the river bet--Online tell?

People multi-task while they play poker, and multi-table. The time it takes someone to make their play is inconsequential.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People multi-task while they play poker, and multi-table. The time it takes someone to make their play is inconsequential.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think it's a tell that I "wait" to bet/raise/3bet you, you're going to lose a lot of money to me since I multi-table and I'll be "waiting" a lot.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the past two days I've picked up a couple of pots that I was intending to fold on the river against a single opponent who had been betting all the way. Both times the bettor was firing right out but when the river came they hesitated for 4 or 5 seconds.

The first time I actually had the fold box checked but when they hesitated I unchecked it and called. Is this an actual online tell that anybody has used or did I just get lucky here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people say if someone bets immediately they are bluffing and if they hesitate they have a strong hand. Weak is strong, strong is weak type thinking. But it's not something you should depend on because some people just aren't paying 100% attention to that particular table.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 AM

I wouldn't trust online tells in general. From what I have seen (and I have paid close attention) online tells are not reliable.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:40 AM

I think it was the fact that they were firing right out on all the previous bets that caught my attention. Also, they both were not winning players (ok...fish) so I think that would cut down on the odds of multi-tabling a lot, no?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was the fact that they were firing right out on all the previous bets that caught my attention. Also, they both were not winning players (ok...fish) so I think that would cut down on the odds of multi-tabling a lot, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as much as you would think. They should like multi-tabling because they like action and if you are playing more than one table and playing 50% of your hands you are playing A LOT.