Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Straight Flush Draw

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t560)
Button (t640)
<font color="C00000">SB (t2840)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t745)</font>
UTG (t1190)
UTG+1 (t630)
MP1 (t90)
<font color="C00000">MP2 (t670)</font>
MP3 (t635)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t30, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t300</font>, Button folds, SB calls t300, <font color="CC3333">Hero ????
Old 08-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Straight Flush Draw

You're about to get at least 2:1 and possibly 3:1 on a 1:1 shot (which is still 2:1 even if someone has bigger diamonds). All in.

BTW, this is also my answer with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 08-13-2004, 05:08 PM

I would fold. Your diamond outs are almost certainly not clean (and you don't have all 9 of them). So you are basically drawing to 6 outs (because you can't rely on the straight diamonds), and thus you don't have odds to call.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you are basically drawing to 6 outs (because you can't rely on the straight diamonds)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he has a pretty good shot at winning if he hits a straight diamond [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 05:21 PM

Wow. I am an idiot. Even so, 8 outs are not enough to play for your whole stack.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:31 PM

MP2 and SB are both calling an all in. UTG might, too, if you're lucky. None of the three of their cards concern me in the least unless they're two diamonds, and SB is the only one who's likely to have diamonds (but since he's the big stack in L1, he's equally likely to have A5o). I'd say Hero's got closer to 10-12 outs than 8.

With this overlay, I'm going in (HU, I'd fold). Given their likely hands, you actually have *more* equity here than with a pair and a draw, and if you win you are virtually guaranteed to place.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Ugly! How can you possibly know how many of your drawing outs are good (except for the 2 golden ones)? I would normally think this is an easy all-in, but I wouldn't want to see trips and a higher flush draw out there. With a good-sized bet, then a min raise!? and check call, I have no idea where you may stand. Can they all be on paired (or 2-paired) aces?

I played around on two-dimes and I got a pot equity for you with everyone in of between .22 (made straight, higher flush draw and trips) and .5 (all on aces, one of which is a lone diamond).

I think an argument could be made either way here, depending on any idea you may have of your oppenents. If you go all-in you may get UTG+1 to fold, but I can't see the other two folding. IMO, I would go for the fold here.

Dave S
Old 08-13-2004, 06:19 PM

one thing that hasnt been mentioned is that if you are a good player you areny giving up a lot if you fold here since you will theoretically have a good chance of cashing if you dont go all in. as for the play of the hand i would go all in here if i didnt fold.

Pat
Old 08-13-2004, 06:24 PM

I was going for the check raise in the first place, but didn't expect to see so much action before it got back around to me. I ended up pushing and being shown 33 and 44 for set over set. None of my outs materialized and I was gone. In this situation, I was obviously getting the odds to go all-in, but I'm not sure if my move was correct in general. Any other opinions on how to handle this?