Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-03-2004, 12:38 AM

Default QQ got my heart racing

Just played this hand on a very loose NL 25 6-max table. I'm not sure if I played it well and wasn't sure about the correct course of action on the turn. I decided to check behind because a check raise would have made me sick and I still had 10 outs to beat the straight. On the other hand, I was giving the flush the free card. Opinions?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

SB ($24.60)
BB ($25.85)
UTG ($108.49)
MP ($8.40)
Hero ($45.83)
Button ($20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, Button calls $2.50, SB folds, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, MP folds.

Flop: ($10.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, UTG calls $4, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, Button folds, BB calls $16, UTG calls $16.

Turn: ($70.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($70.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $3.35 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $3.35.

Final Pot: $77.45

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ad Qd (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero shows Qh Qs (full house, queens full of nines).
UTG said he had king high flush draw.
Outcome: Hero wins $77.45. </font>
Old 08-03-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: QQ got my heart racing

Man this is a rough hand! With the UTG player in there, who has you covered, I like you're check on the turn.

With two players calling a substantial flop raise (good raise by the way), you know atleast one of them is drawing, and based on his passive check/calling, the UTG player seems to be drawing. The nine is a nightmare, and taking a free look at a possible full-house on the river is a good move. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm liking this check more and more, and for this reason. It's pretty obvious that the UTG player is drawing. If he already had the straight on the turn, he would check it, waiting for you to bet. Therefore, you could double up through him on the river with you're boat since he would have to payoff you're last 15 bucks or so with the straight.

Furthermore, after checking the turn, let's say you're boat misses the river (because it becomes obvious what to do when it hits, ALL IN). If they both check to you on the river, you can check and take it down easily. If BB goes all in on the river and UTG folds, you can safely call with just the set since it's only 3 bucks. If the BB goes all in on the river and the UTG raises, you can make the obvious laydown. Definitly a good play on the turn.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:17 AM

I think you played this as well as you could have played it. Betting the turn is extremely risky.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:04 AM

Looks good
Old 08-03-2004, 09:35 PM

For the pot/stack ratio on the turn, I go allin. Get him to put his money in when drawing or dead. How can a check-raise make you sick when your bet is allin? There's over 60 in pot and you have about 20 left.

I'm sure there's a depth of money where I generally check turn, and your reasoning for it is a good one, but this isn't it if I read your post right.

There is also situations where I consider not raising the flop, but that is more dynamics specific.