Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 05:43 PM

Default I was in shock after losing this

Should I have done anything differently?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

UTG ($21.26)
AtlBrvs4Life ($17.50)
Button ($64.94)
SB ($37.25)
BB ($22.85)

Preflop: AtlBrvs4Life is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, AtlBrvs4Life calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life raises to $1.5</font>, Button folds, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($6.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $10</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life raises to $15.5 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $5.50.

River: ($37.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $37.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $37.50, between AtlBrvs4Life and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB ($37.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
AtlBrvs4Life shows 8h Ah (flush, ace high).
SB shows Qd Qs (full house, queens full of aces).
Outcome: SB wins $37.50. </font>
Old 07-28-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: I was in shock after losing this

It's really hard to get away from a hand like that. I probably would have fallen into the same trap as you. That said with the benefit of hindsight, a min check raise like your opponent did usually screams: I've got a made hand and I'm trying to pump up the pot without scaring you off. Where else do you see a play like this? When someone limp reraises aces before the flop. Same principle.

Another way to think about it is what hands could your opponent have to checkraise that turn if he is at all rational? QQ, 99, AK, AQ, AJ, A10, A9. He didn't raise preflop, so you can eliminate QQ and AK. That still leaves a bunch of hands that can beat you and the marginal outs you get with a flush draw don't help you all that much.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM

What did he have? 99?

I had a full boat busted by a str8 flush today. Talk about expensive.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:46 PM

I donīt think it was a good al-in since u didnīt have a good kicker. But the final result wouldnīt have been much different, cause if u called him he would put u all-in on river and you would have folded.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM

At least you had 7 outs to win.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Thanks guys. As the results state, he had QQ. I was amazed. After playing for another 30 minutes at this table, I realized this guy never once raised pre-flop, regardless of his hand. On the turn, I guess my thought process was, I think I'm ahead, and if I'm not I probably still have outs. I had outs, although not as many as I thought.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:37 PM

You would have gone broke on this hand since you made the flush, but I think you could have played this hand better prior to that point.

Pre-flop: In a five-handed game, Axs is pretty marginal. You won't get paid off enough on your flushes to cover your investment, and the pairs that you make will usually not win if they get much action. Open-limping just seems terrible with only 3 players to act behind you.

Flop: The raise of $1 isn't a play I'd make, but I can see why you might have done it. I'd probably raise a bit more.

Turn: You're either way ahead here, or you have many outs to beat a better ace (or 3 outs to beat small boats). Giving a free card to weaker hands is unlikely to hurt you. Getting check-raised after representing trip aces has got to make you sick. This is a spot where you can check and hope to pick off a bluff on the river (or bet if checked to you again). Betting $5 here will probably get folds from hands drawing nearly dead, but will get called or raised by all better hands. Even though you're usually ahead here, this bet seems -EV unless you know your opponents will continue calling with any piece of the board.