Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Interesting Phil Ivey quote

I think this is what they mean when pros say that high stakes poker relies more on luck than low stakes games.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Ivey quotes are just Ivey quotes, no content whatsoever. You will never get any piece of useful information out of this guy.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Pretty simple. Weak calling station opponents think on one level. You can't bluff them, fancy play them, or move them off of a pair of aces with a king kicker. Optimat strategy is often best. As you go up the ladder and encounter tougher and tougher opponents you have to be UNpredictable in what and how you play. I know, with time, I can nail a weak opponent on how he plays and take advantage of it and I SUCK at poker in comparison to the pros. They can pick you apart so easily its sick.

You can't play like Phil in tournaments locally. The players are too simple and think on a one plain field. Thats we he comments so much about being bored the 1st few days. Probably Phils best opponents are those that think 2-3 levels higher than the simple fish. He now outthinks them and out plays them.

I would love to play the player in the tournaments I play in. But I can't. They are too simple. So in live tournaments I play tight till the final table. Now I play my opponents and alter from TAG to... well something looser. And it pays off. But thats because most of the players at the final table are a couple levels below my thinking or at my thinking. So moves can be made.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM

I just want 1 million please.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:11 PM

If I won what money make does I still try to move up slowly. There is no fricken way I'd risk that much money. I rememver when I started I plopped $200 in Party after reading a few books. If I lost it I would know I was too stupid to play poker and that would be it.

Well I'm still here and still have that $200.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you try to play this way at small or middle limits before your abilities and experience catch up, you'll find yourself broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

I disagree. These players are not making money off of themselves (the pros). They are making money off of rich guys that don't play nearly as well as they do.

People that are infinitly rich have conquered all in life. They have so much control over everything around them it gets boring. So the challenges they take are higher risk.

Learning to fly, skydive, mountain climb... all dangerous activities on to themselves if you don't know what you are doing, some gamble. With gambling they have NO control over games like craps or blackjack. The money means nothing to them. Its beating the house. In poker its beating the players. They don't want a game with easy chumps they can beat. They want games with the BEST so they can say the BEAT the best. They are usually power driven personalities, for the most part. They want and need greater challenges than they can control. So the pros play these guys and thats where they make their money, not off of each other. The millionaires might be good, bad, or whatever but they don't care about their money. They got soooo much. Some of you might not believe me but lets take an example down to our level.

All of you average people own cars ranging from new to beat up. Now think about if for one day a year you can pick any car you want to drive for that day. That would be something cool and interesting.

Now imaging if you can pick any car to drive anyday anytime you want like magic. Well eventually it will not be exciting. You can translate that to women too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Same thing for these super millionaires. Everyone bows to their wishes, their money buys whatever they want... where's the challenge. They find things that can be a challenge. Beating the world's best poker player is a challenge.

Look at us. I know that if I go to a table and all the stats on the players are in the red (I set my colors that way) then I go to another table. I like poker, but I like to win. Why do I want to struggle at 0.5 BB/100 saying "Oh I beat TAG so and so...". Screw that, I want suckers at my table so I cna make money. A couple TAGs fine, but I don't want to play them. Why should the pros be any different if they are making money for a living.

Now if they have more money than god then well I can see playing the best in the world if the money matter's not. Now its not a challenge its pretige.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

I know I feel blind at times online. Live is much better for me.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Daniel Negreanu lost a million at one of these games in one sitting, and the other players refered to losing $1,000,000 a night for the first time as having your "cherry" broken. Crazy. Big losses like this must be pretty typical. I wonder if Moneymaker ever tried the $4k/$8k game? Somehow I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually for a brief stint Moneymaker dominated table one shortly after his WSOP victory. He no longer plays there because the rest of the players were afraid to play against him.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 PM

I'm sure thats why he no longer plays there...everyone was just too afraid of him.