Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Who\'s the next Detroit/Michigan coach to get fired?

[ QUOTE ]
We haven't lost less than 3 games since 99. We haven't made it out of September undefeated since 99, and it's not like we're playing a slate of Florida State/USC/Texas or anything either. I realize we can't have a top 5 team every year, but we should compete for national titles at least every few years. We haven't. That should be considered unnacceptable for a program that considers itself among the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. That argument holds water.

My question then is, should UM water down it's schedule in order to preserve what it takes to go undefeated in the early part of the season?

UM consistently loses to UofND almost every other year, and their looked very weak against Northern Ill. in the first game of the season. Should they do what a lot of other powerhouses do and bring in weak teams to ensure they are 4-0 and ranked in the top 10 when they enter conference play?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM

Well other than the ND game, we pretty much do. Now, the main reason we play a MAC-heavy schedule is not fear but money: we need home games and the few million in profit each brings in to fund the athletic dept. Personally, I want to see us play ND two on, two off, and then have home and homes with another good program. As far as how to compete, I suggest we start beating ND for starters. For whatever reason we've never played them particularly well since 1978, even when they've been down. Why? Who knows, but we gotta be able to beat them to get the year going well.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:10 PM

The home and home arrangements are good for TV and revenues, but impractical in reference to national championship implications. Losing the game against a top 10 team early in the season is detrimental to the entire season. See OSU this year. Their only loss would be to PSU this year had they not played Texas this year. And they lost at home, which further hurts their chances. Next year they have to play at Texas. More of the same for them I guess.

I am glad to see UM stopped going to the west coast and losing in Sept. like they had for the past 5 years. That idea has no merit.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am glad to see UM stopped going to the west coast and losing in Sept. like they had for the past 5 years. That idea has no merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you are going with this but Michigan is supposed to be considered one of the top 4 or 5 programs in the nation. Right up there with your USC, FSU, TENN, MIA as teams that are supposed to be consistenly good. So I dont think they should be afraid to go play anyone on the west coast or think that they shouldn't becuase it might hurt their Nat'l Champ chances. If they were a truly top program that would just play the games and handle whoever the Pac-10 thru at them but instead they come out and lose 1 or 2 games a year that are just absolutely inexcusable which is not the sign of a top program in my opinion.