Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: $200 NL- JJ ... lotta players, lotta possibilities......

[ QUOTE ]
not leading turn is bad

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm also leading on flop, eventually cr on flop, cutting draws and gaining information sooner imo
Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 PM

Why are you going to a flop 4 ways in a 5-handed game with JJ? If you're not re-raising here with jacks, what are you re-raising pf with?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:13 PM

I think your line is weak.

On the flop, the pot is $28 and you have an overpair that is vulnerable to overcards falling on the turn or river. I don't think button or bb has AA or KK as the button should be raising with potential action behind him, and BB would certainly need to be raising with 3 people calling the raise in front of him. UTG, of course, could have a range of hands.

T97 rainbow is a good flop for you. What you need to find out is if UTG has an overpair to yours, or if one of the other 2 hit a set (or possibly has QQ). With no reads (you just sat down and I'll assume you haven't played with these folks before), I think the best way to define your hand is to lead out with a bet anywhere from 2/3 to full pot. There is a good chance your hand is best here and you'll take down the pot immediately.

At the same time, they are going to have a hard time putting you on AA/KK given you didn't reraise. They are likely to put you on AK/Q or a pair. If you check, someone behind you will likely think you missed and lead out. If you check here, you must be willing to put a big raise on anyone making a timid bet (e.g. 1/2 pot or less).

As the play happened, everyone checked to the button. Well, what do you think the button is going to do in this situation??? He's gonna bet it, of course. And he leads out with a timid bet of less than 1/2 the pot. If you are not willing to put the checkraise on him here, you are probably playing above your bankroll.

By checking and calling, you gain very little information and at the same time are telling the person leading the action that you are unsure of yourself. Any strong player is going to fire again at you on the turn.