Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 100/200 nl AA weird spot

[ QUOTE ]
but i don't understand how you don't raise the turn, if the main point of checking behind is to get someone to bet in to you on the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]
The main point of checking flop is to a) vary your play
b)get someone to double barrell bluff you. If I'd just pot reraise turn, all hands that are behind fold and most draws fold too. If I min raise or something silly I open myself up to a horrible 3-bet. When I just call turn, it really looks like I have some sort of mid pair hand which they'll try to blow me off.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'd just pot reraise turn, all hands that are behind fold and most draws fold too.

[/ QUOTE ]
i still don't understand this. what's wrong with winning an 18bb pot with 1pr? without a river? and without a showdown? you don't usually stack someone with just a pair of aces. if that was your goal you should've begun building your pot on the flop.

ok, so most draws fold if you raise. isn't that great? or maybe the draw calls, and you've properly charged them a heavy price. and there ARE draws out there, it's not like you're smoothcalling on a relatively dry board.

[ QUOTE ]
When I just call turn, it really looks like I have some sort of mid pair hand which they'll try to blow me off.

[/ QUOTE ]
or you let a scare card hit for cheap and you DO get blown off the hand.

maybe i'm thinking about this hand in too simple-minded a way, but i really don't understand your reasonings.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:11 AM

This is the most gratuitous "I play big" post I've seen in months. Only bicyclekick has topped this crap in the last couple of years.

You are the only one who can make this decision and you know it. At 100/200, this is about flow, not technicalities.

BTW, in all seriousness, you probably play WAYYYYYYYY better than me, but I'm certain that you posted this for the wrong reason.

Edit: SB is clearly not blocking w/ KJ, IMO.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 AM

on what river cards are you folding to a bet of this size?

I think this determines whether turn is a raise or not
Old 10-28-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most gratuitous "I play big" post I've seen in months. Only bicyclekick has topped this crap in the last couple of years.

BTW, in all seriousness, you probably play WAYYYYYYYY better than me, but I'm certain that you posted this for the wrong reason.

[/ QUOTE ]Glad you're so certain [censored]. It didn't cross my mind to post this hand it but durrrr was sweating me at the time and told me to to post it, so stfu.

[ QUOTE ]
on what river cards are you folding to a bet of this size?

I think this determines whether turn is a raise or not

[/ QUOTE ]I would have called another pot bet by BB again on any river card (assuming it was heads up), but the whole point was the SB's play really threw me off since I don't recall seeing anyone play a hand like that ever. His check-overcall on turn was makes this hand completely baffling as I'd assume he'd lead almost any pair or any draw on the turn.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:01 AM

i hate checking this flop, especially 3 handed!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main point of checking flop is to a) vary your play
b)get someone to double barrell bluff you. If I'd just pot reraise turn, all hands that are behind fold and most draws fold too. If I min raise or something silly I open myself up to a horrible 3-bet. When I just call turn, it really looks like I have some sort of mid pair hand which they'll try to blow me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your reply. your reasoning seems reasonable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

El D says that having gotten to the river in this fashion, he'd call the river bet. I was wondering what thoughts were on this, as this hand hasn't gotten too far analyticly. I don't know how wide the sb's range can be in this spot, unless at these stakes a bluff is reasonable. I guess a bluff could be reasonable, but I'm not seeing it at the moment?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed

utg (6k) folds, Hero (30k) raises 3x bb with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], SB (40k) calls, BB (30k) calls.

J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot: 1800)
chk chk, I decide to chk (not standard)

J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot: 1800)
sb chk, BB bets 1800 (probably any 2 here), I decide to call, SB calls too...

J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot: 7200)
SB leads 5200, BB insta folds, Hero folds....

Weird hand for me. Not many reads really. I'm curious if is it possible SB is blocking with like KJ? Is he buying the pot hoping BB doesn't have the flush? It doesn't make sense that he wouldn't lead turn with a flush draw right, unless he was going for a c/r on turn but got weird when I called the pot bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the flop and smoothcalling the turn is probably a very bad idea w/o reads.