Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Winning Concepts in SnGs

I'm trying to start a poker website, and I wrote a little essay about important concepts in SnGs. This is my first draft so feel free to add to it.

Winning Concepts in SnGs

(1) The Gap Concept - You need a stronger hand to call an allin than to move allin.
*Intuition - If your opponent is going allin with 20% of his hands, you can only call allin with 10% of your hands profitably about. You should only be getting into allin encounters where you have a good edge over the opponent's range of hands in the first place.

(2) Allin Encounters on the "bubble" are very costly!
*Intuition - With 4 players and a decent stack you should on average earn a quarter of the prize pool (and more)! If you call an allin with AJ thinking you'll win 60% of the time, you're actually losing money! 60% of the time you win less than half the prize pool. Say you average 4 buyins. 40% of the time you get nothing. .6*.4=2.4 buyins which is a very generous estimate.

(3) Steal more against opponents when they have more to lose
*Intuition - Players are much more likely to fold if they are in chip position than if they are desperate!

(4) Don't make your pots big early without a premium hand
*Intuition - Smaller variation increases your overall rate because losing chips hurts more than winning the same amount of chips helps. This means not raising with AQ and AJ if you're expecting multiway action. Other hands you will raise with because you are hoping for a reraise.

(5) Go allin before you are so low that people will have to call (less than 3 big blinds).
*Intuition - The chance they fold makes your equity better than a confrontation with a random hand.

(6) Usually limping or checking in a BB vs SB situation is worse than raising.
*Intuition - Most likely the other player has a week hand, because trapping with moderate hands is a poor play. Even if they call, you can make a continuation bet on the flop profitably. Usually a 3x BB raise will suffice. After you make this play a few times, it will stop working as well however. People will definitely notice.

(7) Make a continuation bet against 1 or 2 players but not 3 or more.
*Intuition - Your chance of winning the pot decreases exponentially with each additional player in the hand.

(8) Read into people's bets for weakness
*Note - Players often bluff Qxx or Jxx flops. People don't bet big on the river with a mediocre hand. They either have a strong hand or want to psh you out. A small bet is either a value bet or a blocking bet. Most SnGers don't go beyond the first level of thinking, their own hand, so you should go one step beyond them.

(9) Don't think in terms of winning, losing, and "catching bluffs" - That's how losing players deceive themselves. Think in terms of expected value.
*Note - You can't ever put a player on one specific hand unless they limp UTG then minimum reraise, then they have AA. In other cases you should be thinking in terms of ranges of hands.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Winning Concepts in SnGs

[ QUOTE ]
(2) Allin Encounters on the "bubble" are very costly!
*Intuition - With 4 players and a decent stack you should on average earn a quarter of the prize pool (and more)! If you call an allin with AJ thinking you'll win 60% of the time, you're actually losing money! 60% of the time you win less than half the prize pool. Say you average 4 buyins. 40% of the time you get nothing. .6*.4=2.4 buyins which is a very generous estimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is generally wrong when you take it out of context.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 PM

wait, you're bout to start a site, so you want us to contribute the content for you?

wtf.

citanul
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM

I wouldnt be too concerned.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:28 PM

You are trying to sum up some complex issues in a few sentences, and the result suffers. In my opinion, there are already too many 'quick' guides to hold'em out there.

If you want to contribute to the online poker environment, make a quick guide on where to find good poker resources to study. If I had to do it, I would probably just link to this forum :-).
Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can't ever put a player on one specific hand unless they limp UTG then minimum reraise, then they have AA. In other cases you should be thinking in terms of ranges of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, wow, i can put players on hands. Also I have represented AA with a limp utg reraise*, so that kills your dead on theory about AA.

*Note: only do this against better opponents
Old 09-28-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, wow, i can put players on hands. Also I have represented AA with a limp utg reraise*, so that kills your dead on theory about AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was tongue and cheek. the fact that it was a limp reraise didn't signal that it was aa, it was the fact that it was a minraise.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, you're bout to start a site, so you want us to contribute the content for you?

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you read too far in to this. I was just publishing my article, you can respond however you want to it.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:08 PM

so minraise after utg limp always means aa?

are u sure?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was tongue and cheek.

[/ QUOTE ]I always try to buy the higher quality hot dogs and sausages.