Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Proper AA turn play?

[ QUOTE ]
so he'd bluff into me on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That gets you one bet. But by betting the turn and river you have the potential to get two, three if he check-raises you with a worse hand (which lags are more likely to do, still it doesn't happen all that often).
Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

HEPFAP Page 87 2nd paragraph. Doesn't say anything about two-suited boards though.

I thought SSHE mentioned this too but I'm too lazy to go look.

BTW, BB here had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I really doubt he would have called a turn bet.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what play your making and I do it all the time, but not on this board. The Queen is a great card for you, it might have hit him, in which case you will get paid off. Also the two clubs makes me less likely to give a free card, and it makes it more likely he may try some funky semibluff turn CR. So I bet this turn and pay off a CR every time on a board like this. In the case of a rainbow flop and say a 5 on the turn, I have no problem with your check.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Donk.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Bwuh? He called a river bet, why would have have folded the turn?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bwuh? He called a river bet, why would have have folded the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because now he thinks I don't have anything and am trying to buy the pot. Would you think I had AA if you were in his position?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:47 PM

Check this turn only against some of your toughest opponents. The vast majority of the time you should be betting the turn and calling if you get check-raised.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM

you right, I think betting the turn is a better play. What I meant to say was that if you want to check the turn, you want to do at against a LAG, this way there is a chance you'll win an extra bet on the river.(if he folds the turn UI)
Old 06-07-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, BB here had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I really doubt he would have called a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet he managed to find the dreaded bluff-call on the river.

HEPAP isn't written for the opponents you face in .5/1. This thread is a good example.

You vastly outplayed yourself on this one.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]1) You're giving the flush draw a free card otherwise.

2) You probably have the best hand. In any case, checking here doesn't give you any more information because a bet from the opponent on the river could be because he saw weakness + the scare card, or because he actually has a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a relative newbie and am a little confused about this. If a bet the turn here I am giving my opponent 4.25 to 1 pot odds, which means that they can call my bet properly. Therefore I am not putting them in a position to make a mistake.

I would also argue to bet here, but for different reasons. In the flush draw situation you will win this ~4 times out of 5. Therefore over 100 hands you will win 1BB 80 times and lose 1BB 20 time for a net win of 60BB. Of course things get more complicated since villian doesn't necessarily have a flush draw. But your in a situation where you are either way ahead or way behind, and I don't see any reason to think that you are behind.

Am I understanding any of this correctly? Please let me know where my mistakes are.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 PM

You're right that you opponent is correct to call the turn bet if he's on a flush draw. But he's EVEN MORE correct to see the river for free if you let him.

Your second paragraph is basically the reason why you're betting. HU on the turn, every bet that goes into the pot is +EV for you and -EV for the flush draw. Note that even though it is right for your opponent to call (due to the overlay the pot provides), the turn bet itself is -EV for him.

This is one of many, many situations in which you cannot protect your hand, but you should still bet for value.