Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Weak Ace vs unknown!

Villian is an unknown. His raise I usually assume is a strong ace and was planning on check/folding unimproved the turn. when i hit my 2 pair i get excited...but so it he. The river is a possible flush and when raised i couldnt bring myself to reraise. how do you play this hand from the beginning. Thanks. BTW...good check raise on turn??

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 05-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Weak Ace vs unknown!

I think capping then leading the turn is too much. I'd probably call down after he 3-bets.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 AM

Ewwwwwwww.

Flop bet is good. I would just bet the turn. He could check behind with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s, and he might raise his ace allowing you to 3-bet. If he capped your 3-bet, just check call the river.

The way you played it, I don't like your turn cap or your river bet.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 AM

After the flop without any reads, you must put your opponent on:

1. A set
2. 2 Pair (likely AT)
3. Spade draw

Say #1 or #2 are 70% probable and #3 is 30% probable. If #1 or #2 is true then you are drawing practically dead. If #3 is true you are only a 3-1 favorite.

The point is that if you agree with the range of hands, then the 3 hitting the board is no reason to raise the turn and even more reason to fold to the 3bet.

The river bet is a total waste.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:02 PM

why was just a pair of aces not an option?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably call down after he 3-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwww.

Flop bet is good. I would just bet the turn. He could check behind with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s, and he might raise his ace allowing you to 3-bet. If he capped your 3-bet, just check call the river.

The way you played it, I don't like your turn cap or your river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you'd stop and go...bet/call the flop and bet/3bet the turn and if capped check/call the river? makes sense. i initially thought he was on spades but his turn cap was overboard. and giving a free card to someone with spades would have been TERRIBLE, so the ewwwwwwww regarding the turn check/raise was probably deserved. turns out he had a pair of nines. ahh, party.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm putting him on AK/AQ at least until he 3bets the turn. After that I go into check/call mode.

River sucks, but for just 1 bet it's still an easy call.

-G
Old 05-23-2005, 01:08 PM

I like your plan to check/fold the turn UI, given that this is a small pot. I also like your checkraise, with reads you might bet hoping to get raised. After villain's 3-bet, I would probably call and then check/call the river.

Nak
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwww.

Flop bet is good. I would just bet the turn. He could check behind with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s,

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. And if the pot were bigger, I would definitely agree with you. With this small pot, giving a free card is not that much of a mistake, so I still sort of like the checkraise. I guess this all depends on the likelyhood that you will get raised if you bet the turn.

Nak